Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ineffective Leadership  (Read 838 times)

Graine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ineffective Leadership
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:14:18 am »

I recently found my way to a very promising fortress site right between the charmingly named Shadowbalded river and a major highway, but barely a week after settlement I checked my dorfs to see what that one idler was assigned to do and found my expedition leader had went and got himself stuck in the +9 branches of a nearby tree. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. Hell, I'm not even sure how he got up there.

I figure the fastest way to rescue him would be to designate the tree for removal, but I suspect he may be less than thrilled by the journey downward. Of course, I have a wonderful dabbling diagnostician on hand to let him know what he breaks in the fall, but I'm not sure that will do much to mollify my fearless leader. I'm also afraid the blood may distress my other dorfs. Is there some kind of fire department I can call?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Ineffective Leadership
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:59 am »

While this question is asked, may I ask my own?

How do trees interfere with designating constructions? Can I build a wall that'd intersect branches or something? Maybe a staircase?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:25:12 am »

You should just be able to build a staircase up to him provided you have the materials to do so.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:39:12 am »

I... don't recommend the staircase option.  In my experience so far, building constructions of any kind next to a tree cause it to go poof and disappear, no logs, no roots, nothing.

Your expedition leader is going to pull a Wile. E. Coyote, float for a moment, then look down and plummet.

Best bet is to just chop the tree down, at least that way you get some logs out of the inevitable death of your leader
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:41 am »

I... don't recommend the staircase option.  In my experience so far, building constructions of any kind next to a tree cause it to go poof and disappear, no logs, no roots, nothing.

Your expedition leader is going to pull a Wile. E. Coyote, float for a moment, then look down and plummet.

Best bet is to just chop the tree down, at least that way you get some logs out of the inevitable death of your leader

Hmmm... Would it be possible to get a floor a z level or two down to catch him?  :-\ A shorter fall should mean less injury - especially with a featherwood floor.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:47:15 am »

In that case I do recommend the staircase option, since if that is what happens it sounds like a bug that Toady should know about.  Do it for SCIENCE, and submit the bug report (with the save) on the bug tracker if it does.   :P

--nomad_delta

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:51:25 am »

Honestly, with the size of trees nowadays, losing one like that is nothing. The leader's death will have to be inevitable on a larger time scale.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!