Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have sieges changed?  (Read 552 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have sieges changed?
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:53:47 am »

So I'm playing the new version (.07, I think) and it's fun. The trees are lovely. the caravan cleans up efficiently, but the sieges have been quite underwhelming.

I've had four of them so far, which is also odd because my population just reached 50, but...they seem really confused. One of them wandered on, took some pot shots at our horse, and ran away. The next  one almost wiped our our livestock, but...again, ran away inexplicably. And since then, they've shown up, milled around for a bit, and fled.

Of course, I've moved most but not all of the herd indoors for safety. And of course I keep all the dorfs burrowed behind a drawbridge, but I'm used to sieges that linger for at least six months before giving up. Have the goblins gotten less determined? Or should I just wait until my fort is large/wealthy enough to be worth laying siege to? 

Also, sieges seem to be made up of a squad or two of completely randomly armed goblins, though I think I read that this is the new norm for DF.

Mind, I'm not complaining, as my military is pretty pathetic at the moment, but it's odd.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Have sieges changed?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 07:04:26 am »

.07 is the one with the bug where you can build walls out of nothing. I think it's save-compatible with the further ones, so better upgrade.

There's a new morale system in v40 in general, and it causes things like undisciplined things running away in terror a lot.
To be fair, I don't know much about sieges.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:06:19 am »

OK, you can tell I'm still relatively new.

Save-compatible means I download the newest upgrade and transfer the "regionX" folder from the old version the new one?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:07:50 am »

Sieges (as with near everything else) are currently very, very broken. Most of it is bugs to do with the world-simulation during play, the new emotion/personality system, and changes to the way leaders behave.
Someone else might be able to give you more detail. I'm mostly trying to say that DF2014 is buggy and most of the weirdness you see is a bug of one form or another.
During this stage in the development cycle, the usual course of action is to play the old version for serious gameplay, and the new version for finding and reporting all the broken things.

Save-compatible means I download the newest upgrade and transfer the "regionX" folder from the old version the new one?
That is correct. Generally, you can also copy over init and raw files, though that's risky because Toady sometimes changes things.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:11:53 am »

Ah, got it. So I'll report this as a bug.

And yeah, after asking the question, I copied the entire "save" folder to the new download, works like a charm.