Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing a netbook hinge  (Read 1020 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Fixing a netbook hinge
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:46 am »

One hinge on my netbook is broken, as depicted by the extremely scientific diagram below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The broken pieces are made of metal, and about 1/4" wide. Is there any way to join them together solidly enough that the hinge could be used as normal again?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing a netbook hinge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:00:54 pm »

obvious answer would be welding, but good luck with that

i suggest going to a craft/hardware store and picking up metal epoxy

along with some sandpaper if you want it to look nice

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:06 pm »

Is it messing up your monitor's display? Sometimes laptops will do that if a hinge breaks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »

Tape and a splint could work. It wouldn't be pretty though.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:12:27 am »

Is it messing up your monitor's display? Sometimes laptops will do that if a hinge breaks.

Not really. There's some wires that were inside the hinge which have since been severed, but as far as I see nothing has come of it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:18:12 am »

Not really. There's some wires that were inside the hinge which have since been severed, but as far as I see nothing has come of it.
I would get an outside opinion on that myself, and if it's fine, use the metal epoxy that slowpoke suggested, though I would suggest being careful with it because it is epoxy after all. You don't want to get it on anything else.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:07:50 am »

Careful with any kind of glue in the vicinity of the screen, the vapours can sometimes react badly with the plastic and make the screen go cloudy.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.