Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will dead migrants cause unhappy thoughts?  (Read 1005 times)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will dead migrants cause unhappy thoughts?
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:47:58 pm »

This is my first fortress and it has been very successfull but migrants are becoming problematic. So, if I just don't let new migrants into my fort and let them die, will other dwarves get unhappy thoughts?
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Will dead migrants cause unhappy thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:33 pm »

This is my first fortress and it has been very successfull but migrants are becoming problematic. So, if I just don't let new migrants into my fort and let them die, will other dwarves get unhappy thoughts?
Migrants past the second wave (autumn year 01) will usually have families who will grieve, and occasionally things like friendships and blahblahblah.  So their immediate loss isn't completely a bust.  And of course, witnessing any civ member death is a harsh experience.  But migrants fresh on the map are easily the most expendable members of your civ aside from stray animals.

If you do not let dwarves idle they will not converse and make friends.  If you separate a groups of dwarves from one another they will never become friends and will not really care about the deaths of people they do not know.  Whole forts and concepts have been build around the idea of this (separate forts for nobility and workers, 'jail forts', 6-fort challenges, etc).

Yes, letting them die might be the best thing to do if you dont want them.  You could also throw out a pick and some food and build a new fort for them.  Improve your multitasking with extra challenge and whatnot.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:49 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. Multiple forts sound like a fun idea but I'm probably not going to do that because I have trouble managing just one (73 people).
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:00 pm »

I'm leaning towards trying a 3 fort design myself...  split not by different start location on the surface, but on z-level.  One for surface, one for caverns, one for Magma/HFS access.
//Torrenal

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:43 pm »

Don't forget that you are responsible for burying every group member on the screen, even if *you* don't consider them part of your fort. Slabs are fine if you don't want to retrieve the bodies, but ghosts can be anything from a mild bad thought to complete doom, avoid getting them.