Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Ghoulish Conundrum of sorts.  (Read 1196 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
A Ghoulish Conundrum of sorts.
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:27:35 am »

Hello Fellow Modders!

As some of you may know I have been developing a authentic lovecraftian mod for the past few weeks linked in my sig.

However I appear to have hit a wall....

You see.. recently I have added a new creature to the game called a "Ghoul" from the mythos.

The mythos states that if a person is underground for too long (lost in a  cavern, for example) that they may turn into a ghoul..

This translates to a interaction with a syndrome with a probability of 1 that transforms a creature into a ghoul, that activates every year..ok simple enough..

But, it needs to only happen deep underground or in caverns.......

I found that there is no region interaction for caverns, so i cant do it the easy way.

I am very very set on not using the cave_adapt timer to do this (at least by itself) as it would end with a creature, maybe even in your meeting hall, just sudden;y transforming into a ghoul because they have been underground too long....and it wouldn't effect player adventurers at all...and it would only effect cave_adapt creatures....

Any other way of going about this?

(Put all your ideas below, and we shall discuss various methods of doing this , the reason i created a new topic was so that i could condense all the solutions into one place)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:42:07 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: A Ghoulish Conundrum of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:34 am »

Is the intent that being alone underground for too long causes the transformation?  You could give just about every intelligent creature a free action interaction that confers a syndrome with [SYN_CLASS:NOT_ALONE] with a suitably long duration.  Make another self-interaction that tries to turn the creature into a ghoul with immunity based on NOT_ALONE and the CAVE_ADAPT timer.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:47:20 am »

You can use the CAVE_ADAPT counter. If they're underground (any underground tile) for long enough, they'll turn into a ghoul.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
//Edit .. Oh, you said you DON'T want to use the cave_adapt trigger. Um... Hmm. Oh! Make another interaction, that gives them a SYN_CLASS, and they use it as a greeting, and everytime they see another human/friendly, they get this syn class for a while. Set the above interaction so it can't have that syn class.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:50:26 am by Godlysockpuppet »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:49:21 pm »

Is the intent that being alone underground for too long causes the transformation?  You could give just about every intelligent creature a free action interaction that confers a syndrome with [SYN_CLASS:NOT_ALONE] with a suitably long duration.  Make another self-interaction that tries to turn the creature into a ghoul with immunity based on NOT_ALONE and the CAVE_ADAPT timer.

Wow, that is elegant..  8)

edit: It might also be helpful to move these reactions to creature variations (sentient greeter vs. ghoul possible) so that you can make more than 1 type of ghoul etc. and if you need to edit a tag its all in one spot  8)

edit2: Someday I shall learn to spell..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:53:13 pm by YAHG »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »

edit: It might also be helpful to move these reactions to creature variations (sentient greeter vs. ghoul possible) so that you can make more than 1 type of ghoul etc. and if you need to edit a tag its all in one spot  8)

Agreed, very elegant, it solves the whole "turn into a ghoul in the meeting hall" problem, and everything.You sir, deserve a cookie and a pet shaggoth.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:40:13 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:13:00 pm »

I said the exact same thing but gave the first bit of the interaction!! Where's my cookie!!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »

I said the exact same thing but gave the first bit of the interaction!! Where's my cookie!!

Im sorry :P

*gives 2 cookies*
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:24:24 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »

I cannot be held responsible for the responses to the stupidity of my own actions  :P

However cookies HAVE been awarded by the ticket holder above.

And because sharing is caring,

Enjoy it

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 08:04:14 am »

I cannot be held responsible for the responses to the stupidity of my own actions  :P

However cookies HAVE been awarded by the ticket holder above.

And because sharing is caring,

Enjoy it
You can't create prepared meals in reactions, only cheeses. Though there are ways to mod plant cheeses...
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 11:51:11 am »

I had assumed it was wrong because I only gave one material for a level 2 food :-\

So instead of a delicious sweet pod sugar cookie you get a nice CTD ;)

Baked with love, from my [BUILDING:SMELTER] to yours <3.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 01:05:06 pm »

I think this whole cookie thing is getting a bit out of hand...
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »

I think this whole cookie thing is getting a bit out of hand...

Well, he DID answer a question that occurred to me later between forum sessions (I wanted to set up some swank cooking reactions with specific reaction classes of ingredients tied to relevent types of food), and since the only way he could've done that is witchcraft you all know what must be done... :P

That and he taught me that I am NOT allowed to nest spoilers inside of each other..... >:(

But sure, yeah coo..  :-X. Phew, caught myself that time  :D.