Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The world will remember the seven...  (Read 699 times)

jonsnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The world will remember the seven...
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:27:43 am »

I am going to start a challenge for myself and was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining in on it.

The rules for this play are simple -

Your starting seven dwarves will be your only military.  If one of them dies, you can replace one of them.  No more than seven dwarves may be enlisted in the army at one time.  Their stories and legend will be epic.

No walling off the colony, and no traps beyond cage traps (used for the purpose of gathering animals to enlist in the military).

We will embark in an area that has many hostile creatures in hopes of training and breeding them to help us survive.

The starting seven will be one of each weapon type and one unarmed fighter... muahaha.
Who's with me?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:43:32 am by jonsnow »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The world will remember the seven...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:36:24 am »

An army works the best with proper support.  Be sure they all have sleeping arrangements, enough food and drink, a well for when the alcohol suddenly dries up for no reason at all and someone making enough trade-goods encrusted with gems that your seven will be able to be properly armored against the atrocities of war.  Give them a place to train up new recruits in expectation of tragic losses, or you'll be down to one legendary soldier and six greenies in no time flat.  I suggest an active military of seven and all new migrants or children becoming adults, doing a mandatory one-month stint in a squad training with wooden practice weapons.  Every dwarf will have a little fighting/dodging training under their belts for when somebody decides to berserk or a kidnapper tries to make off with a baby, but it's just the Seven that get the metal weapons and armor.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:57:41 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:15 am »

I like this challenge. Maybe as a hardcore mode, combine it with part of the "True Spartan" challenge: city on the plains, without any walls whatsoever. All threats are to be met by the Seven in an open battle, immediately.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:02:12 pm »

I'm not an expert but i'm pretty sure the spartans had chokepoints :s

But more to the point, I think this is a really entertaining idea, and I'm eager to see how your playtrough turns out. I don't think I have the time to join right now, but I'll probably change my mind should overwhelming amounts of fun befall my current game.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:04:17 pm by Taupe »