Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Access  (Read 420 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Access
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »

Started a new world building near/in a volcano.  No aquifer.

In the local area I had to downsize to 3x3 to avoid aquifers.

I've checking several Z levels (external) to place a Depot, but each one says no access.  Is it possible to have a landlocked starting place?  Could my resizing to 3x3 in the local have caused this?

I have one spot I picked that had access to the edge of the area I can maneuver in.  But still no depot/caravan access (completely red on map).  But the flat area goes all the way to my southern area (again, where I can scroll to).  I've cleared all stumps but still not passable for depot.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Access
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:36:28 pm »

It doesn't matter what it says, the caravan will be able to come on the map. What matters is the access inside of your fortress.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »

don't you have to build the depot first, then check the access screen?

Quitschi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:52:19 pm »

Yup, without a depot built the whole map is red.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »

To clarify, this occurs if the depot is queued but not built - without a depot queued or built, the "D" screen is disabled.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:02:55 pm »

don't you have to build the depot first, then check the access screen?
Maybe, I'll try that.  I had the depot placed.

Also, I read in another thread doing a search that all caravan's come from the western edge of the map...not sure if that's accurate. 
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:24 pm »

They don't - wagons only require a 3x3 path from a map edge to the depot. They do tend to come from the same direction in a single fort, however - this may be due to the location of their home civilization in the world.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:36 pm »

That was it.  Thanks guys.

Caravans do NO come from the west only.
Depot MUST be build fully before the "D" check works.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »

I read in another thread doing a search that all caravan's come from the western edge of the map...
You were probably reading a thread from 2006-2007, then - back in the old 2D versions, caravans did arrive from the western edge of the map, and you had to build an actual road in order for the Humans to bring wagons (Dwarves only brought pack animals).

It isn't that way anymore, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.