Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood barrels: why?  (Read 827 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Blood barrels: why?
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »

I spend a lot of merchandise on buying barrels of blood from humans and dwarves, but is there a use for them? Could they possibly be used to keep vampires in check? Also, why do I have a nearby brook completely flowing blood?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood barrels: why?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:46:42 pm »

well why did you buy them? you could have bought booze! a lot of stuff caravans bring is junk and you shouldn't buy it.

you could mod in a reaction to turn them into sausages or something.

Bromuzl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:28 pm »

Could they possibly be used to keep vampires in check?

Creative! But I imagine the sinister nature of the Vampirism curse causes them to automatically source to dwarves who are away from witnesses, and perform the feeding on the actual corpse, rather than reacting with liquid blood itself. Otherwise they might accidentally become useful and feed from cats.

why do I have a nearby brook completely flowing blood?

There is a known bug with bodies of water replicating contaminants, especially blood, exponentially along the surface. It's nothing to be alarmed about, but something to keep in mind if considering engaging combat near the waterfront.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:35:24 pm »

Also, why do I have a nearby brook completely flowing blood?
Is it really blood or just tree droppings?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:14:50 pm »

Yeah, in the mean time blood barrels serve absolutely no purpose other than as trade goods.  No good to sate or bait vampires I'm afraid.  Toady probably had plans for them... but so far, nothing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »

There is a known bug with bodies of water replicating contaminants, especially blood, exponentially along the surface. It's nothing to be alarmed about, but something to keep in mind if considering engaging combat near the waterfront.

Ok.....that......is.....EPIC! FILL A MOAT WITH THAT WATER. Make your fortress walls out of black stone and use red stone for floors and have a bloody moat around it.

Bromuzl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »

Ok.....that......is.....EPIC! FILL A MOAT WITH THAT WATER. Make your fortress walls out of black stone and use red stone for floors and have a bloody moat around it.
Imagine what it will be like when we can transfer heat to liquid, and you can have a bubbling, boiling pool of blood as a moat... Unfortunately, by the time temperatures become that malable in solid-liquid convection, either by the Toady One, or mods, it is likely this bug will be fixed and we'll be forced to harvest our moat of kitten blood one barrel at a time.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:49:18 pm »

blood can freeze, right? I think I remember having blood (or was it milk) freeze into a glob and being able to cook it?

either way if it can't be cooked, liquids do indeed freeze if you leave the barrel say outside in winter, if blood does freeze, you could try:

1) if you can cook the frozen blood globs
2) dump the frozen blood globs into a pit, to free the barrels and/or make a blood contaminated water pool, you can drop the liquid but requires forbbiding the liquid and moving the barrel to a trade Depot when there's a caravan in town.
3) "recycle" it to sell back to caravans... :D ... let me explain: items that haven't been produced in your fort are marked in white and between parenthesis "(blood)", items produced in your fort, doesn't have the parenthesis and are coloured brown, a usual industry is to buy out the caravans and/or loot invaders and turn the crap they bring into brown "fortress-produced" items, this can be accomplished by adding value to them or transforming them in some way, usually decorating, sewing cloth/leather images on clothing/armour/goods, encrusting with cheap gems/glass to train up your jewellers, studding with metal, melting items for the metal, etc...
so back to the blood barrels, you can encrust them or decorate with bones, and the blood itself can be turned into brow "fortress-produced" if you let it freeze and thaw, freezing counts as a type of transformation on the item and it becomes brown... not that it matters as for value or anything, but if the blood barrels were seized from a caravan they'll be marked in red and you won't be able to resell them, unless you "brown-wash" them as explained... :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:52:56 pm by Kaos »