Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long do you play a typical fort?  (Read 2722 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long do you play a typical fort?
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:10:59 pm »

I'm curious to hear how long the typical fort is played for (whether it ends via fun or abandonment) by users on the forum. Mine don't usually last longer than a few years (5-7) before i start another for various reasons, only rarely because of fun killing everyone at this point because i play a bit too safe.

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: How long do you play a typical fort?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:15:42 am »

I ran the last fortress I have for 3 to 5 dwarven years before being bored at nothing happening.

When I was starting out DF, my forts generally lasts up to 2.5 years before everyone died of hunger, thirst, and goblins.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:45:13 am »

Current fort is 46 years old.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:05 am »

Usually, my forts will last until the population cap hits over 100. Then, a goblin siege will occur and around half the population would die, leaving me to get rid of over 50 dwarf corpses and get rid of all of the clothes.

Then again, if an embark site has almost no way of digging down (aquifer everywhere) then it won't last a year.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:04:04 am »

I had an 56 years old fort, but I usually play for 5 years before moving on.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:50:29 am »

Current fort is at 30 years. 5 less than my longest.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:13:02 pm »

I play a fort until I get bored. That can range from 5 minutes of real time to maybe 5 years of dwarf time. The longest fort I had lasted about 10 years or so.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »

Current one is at 18 years, would be older but for my turn at Murdermachines. Oldest fort yet.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:51 pm »

The longest I had a fort had a child born at the fort and survive for about 130 years before suddenly Goblins with Cave Dragons clogged up my weapon traps.
You think I would have had more notice of that, but I thought my dwarves could survive fire.

I was wrong.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:42 pm »

Mine tend to be based around a concept nowadays. If the concept is good they'll last for decades (like hunter-gatherer cavern fortress, dear Lord that was fun!) and if it isn't they tend to be retired after about 2-3 years, after I dig out catacombs or a mayoral suite or whatever else might be missing to make them able to fend for themselves.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:34:03 am »

mine are usually abandoned due do my OC kicking in and not liking something in my new design...so i move on to iteration 497 of plan A. that or FB's made of gem, screw them.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 02:01:03 am »

My forts range in age from 5 years to 50... If it's a fort to just try a new concept of aquifer pierce or something, it might be only a half year long though. My forts invariably die of fps insanity eventually, but as I keep my population capped pretty low, that is kept in check for a little while at least....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 05:24:23 am »

4-7 years. Then either FPS goes too low for my taste or I get bored.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 06:54:46 am »

I generally make it about 5-7 years, then the boredom of waiting for something to happen gets too strong and I start wondering "what about a swamp... an evil mountain... a glacier..." and start a new fort.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.