Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoiler metal just brought by my caravan? (My own fault, I think. Raw mistake)  (Read 870 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, the first caravan from the mountainhome arrived and it brought two bars of:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I assume that that's not supposed to happen? I'll make a bug report but before I do, I'm wondering if it's intended to be, possibly, a hyper rare situation. I sorta doubt it. I have some personal mods I've done to the game, but nothing that should, to my knowledge affect metals available in that manner at all.

(EDIT: Clarification on what was brought.)

(EDIT TWO: Nevermind. Sigh. Looking closely at my personal edits, it looks like I made a mistake in my raws that is resulting in, possibly, duplicate entries. I usually delete the vanilla raw adamantine out, and enter in a different material, with the name raw adamantine, and it looks like I forgot to delete the original entry. There's two raw_adamantine entries in my inorganic_stone raw. I'm pretty sure that'll result in some insanity, won't it? Or no?)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:54:09 pm by Walkaboutout »

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If need be this can be moved to the modding section since it appears this may turn into a question for more experienced modders. I'm a dork. Interesting results though!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Duplicate it again. See whut !!Science!! occurs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

It's fine to ask questions of this nature here, after all, we all make mistakes.

As for your two bars of faceted metal, acquire them now, and use the coin duplication method to create infinite amounts of said metal.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So after some playing around, as requested, here were some results. Though admittedly little science was done, it's a bit underwhelming I'm afraid.

It is indeed considered by the game a stone or boulder, and not a metal. It's just called faceted metal mind you, not a faceted metal bar. I just assumed when I first saw it, that it was a metal bar; but not so, as far as the game is concerned. It is to the game a stone, whose name is simply faceted metal. Confusing, I know!

I could only treat it as stone; it couldn't be smelted, nor could I use a metal forge to make a faceted metal item, for example a short sword. Doing so resulted in "need faceted metal bar". I could, however make stone stuff out of it. The most interesting thing I could think of was, of course a shortsword. It had listed as its uses "make sharp blades" so I figured that, like obsidian, I could make a stone sword.

Sure enough, that worked. I ended up with a faceted metal shortsword. It weighed less than 1 Urist, and appeared to be superior to steel, as there was very little in the way of deflects against steel armor (I sent him to attack a steel armor wearing gobby invader, as I had given steel making to goblins).

However, the metal in my game that is equivalent to vanilla adamantine (I basically changed adamantine's name to mithril, and that's all), appeared to be superior. I had no way of testing it against someone wearing mithril armor, so I loaded up the arena using that save's raws. Assuming the faceted metal listed in it was the same stuff I was messing with in the save, the mithril deflected it lots. So, all in all, an interesting occurrence, but it appears that the faceted metal in my game is somewhat inferior to vanilla adamantine, which is what I recall reading in a thread where some science had been done on the new metals.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:46:27 pm by Walkaboutout »