Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of Fun with a Volcano!!! Slight help please  (Read 1257 times)

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lots of Fun with a Volcano!!! Slight help please
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:50:08 am »

Hello all, well...my once great fort of about 150 succumbed to bad management on my part in focusing on industry rather than some other things and I lost it.
So I have gone to reclaim it, the environment is described in my only other post if any are interested.

As You can see I have a volcano, however; something new happened to me that has never happened to me before and I need some much needed help to resolve this bit of FUN.

I have gone back to my fort to reclaim it, and while I had a volcano there, it seems that randomly after playing for a few minutes "Something Collapsed" as it warned me, then magma proceeded to flow from the top of the volcano...where once it was a nice edge and I did not have to worry about magma, now I have it flowing endlessly from part of the highest z level down right on it's way ot not only my recapture camp, but to the valley that leads further down to my fort.

Alas, I don't wish to lose such a fort to something like this, while it is quite amusing really, I just want to chance to see if I can make things go well on my fort.
So does anyone know how I might be able to fix this, and more importantly is this supposed to happen? Is this a new feature I was unaware of as it never happened throughout the several hours I played on it before.

Thanks for reading the long post and thanks in advance for any advice and knowledge on this issue.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of Fun with a Volcano!!! Slight help please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:19:00 am »

This is full of awesome, even if it is a bug. My best guess, and its only a guess, is that this is tree related. You had some sort of tree related collapse which breached the lip of the volcano.

As for what to do. I think you are doomed in a truly epic manner. Volcano's refill with magma so you pretty much have an endless lava flood on your hands. The only thing I can think of that you could do is to have your dwarves run for the old fortress and then immediately start walling off all the entrances to the outside where magma can come in. I think the surface is basically a complete loss with the eruption.

If you manage to pull of securing and sealing the old fort, burrow down into the caverns. They should have some water sources and wood down there. Secure the area around your cavern breaching stairway the way you would the normal entrance to your fort. As I am sure you are already aware, there are nasty things that live in the dark, deep places of the world.

Edit: Magma tends to flow rather slowly. Depending on the topography of the map and your water sources you might be able to use a pump stack network to get some water up to the breach and seal it with obsidian but the amount of dwarf power and time required is huge that unless you have a ton of pre-made pump stack components lying around in the old fort and a water source that is above or at least near the magma leak, I don't think this will be an option.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:32:16 am by Melting Sky »

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 03:35:07 am »

Yeah, I believe it was tree related as for a while after I kept getting alerts of collapses, that seemed to have no cause. Alas, only two dwarves made it in before I was able to seal it off for the time being, the rest got caught trying to make it in because the entrance was really close to the volcano's base which was a rather steep ascent to the breech. I had to abandon though, my own Pompeii it seems. It was a lost cause once I saw that though, because while I believe I could make a strictly underground fortress work, I prefer underground as to above, but with no metals onsite except silver and some lead, I was rather screwed in terms of resources. No seeds made it into the fort as it was meant to be retaken. It was so well established too and ready to be made to pump out obsidian goods and such.

*Urist McPhilosopherdorf, "Armok did not receive the blood sacrafice so he smote the dworfs who wished to use his land against him by drownning them in his burning blood."

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:38:06 am »

What would happen with migrants in this scenario? Would they burn up upon arrival, or would they just not come?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 03:48:03 am »

Ouch, two survivors and the surface is uninhabitable. Yeah, that may technically be survivable but it would be so brutal trying to get anything done with so little dwarf power that it would drive anyone crazy trying to pull it off.

Me thinks your original 7 must have been part of some sort of Armok hating cult that started each day by defecating on a shrine of the mighty God of Blood and Magma.

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 03:59:22 am »

Yeah, that is likely...they got what they deserved for defying him so inappropriately! And worse the survivors were the two soldiers I brought along so they were terrible at everything except fighting lol

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 04:13:18 am »

Yes, this could be "fixed" with dfhack by magically creating obsidian walls to contain the lava floe, although you might consider that cheating. Otherwise you might have to wall yourself underground to escape the magma.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 04:31:41 am »

Your fortress is dead. Unless there's a place that you can stop up the flow or somehow redirect it to flow off the map, the magma will overflow endlessly and wipe everything out. You might be able to dfhack in a wall to the edge of the map, to allow migrants and such to enter.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 05:19:13 am »

You can try to dig for the caves. Maybe if there are open borders there the migrants may come. Prob not, but who knows?
Also, if the two soldiers are of opposite genders maybe they can repopulate the world.
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 05:50:33 am »

"...And Armok left only Urist and Uristina"

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 05:58:26 am »

Tap the volcano lower down, in the caverns. Use flood gates so you can close it up again. open the flood gates, I think three is the minimum. Once the volcano drains enough send in the masons.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 07:02:42 am »

Tap the volcano lower down, in the caverns. Use flood gates so you can close it up again. open the flood gates, I think three is the minimum. Once the volcano drains enough send in the masons.

+1 for good solution. Might kill FPS while it's draining, otherwise, very workable. Volcanoes refill, but at a slow enough pace to allow you ample time to pull this off.
Plug that shit yo!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 10:21:51 am »

Send dwarves with buckets of water to pour some water on the magma, forming obsidian walls. No cheating required!

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 12:22:06 pm »

Send dwarves with buckets of water to pour some water on the magma, forming obsidian walls. No cheating required!

He mentioned that the flow was near the top Z lvl of the map, bucket water needs to fall 2 z to make obsidian as I recall.  Also this depends on geting above the flow.  He only had 2 dwarvs and if the embark ends up totaly submerged he might not be able to build up to get there.  The draining method above would have been better although still tedius with only 2 dwarves.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »

Is the map really magma from edge to edge to edge to edge?  I wouldn't have thought there'd be enough.  And I thought that if you completely drained the magma out of a volcano level, it wouldn't actually restore itself there, so I'd think the flow would run out.  If alive, can't the dorfs that missed the entryway just dig wherever they are?

Anyway, to stop the volcano flow long term, carve some fortications into the edge of the map on a deep rocky level near the tube of magma under it.  Dig out the space near the fortications as up-ramps, so it is 2 z-levels high.  The open space should abut the volcano.  Ideally, build magma safe bridge wired to lever by magma safe mechanisms for later, separating upper z-level from lower.  Now have a dorf in a little tunnel (with a magma safe door) 1 level above the upper z-level channel into the volcano to eliminate the last square of rock separating the open space from the volcano tube.  Result: volcano pressurized magma pours down into the level with the fortications and exits the screen via them.  Once your mountain is off the rag again, at least some of the magma near the screen edges will go to 1 depth then evaporate.  Migrants return, songbirds sing, all is right with the world, until the Hill Titan eats them all.