Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sick Medic  (Read 1120 times)

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sick Medic
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:32:21 pm »

My hospital was going along fine until my only medic (who is also the chief medical dwarf) became sick. I gave some other unskilled dwarf the medical skill to try and fix him but to no avail.... Other dwarf is just sitting on No Job. Do I need to assign another chief medical dwarf?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sick Medic
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »

Health care jobs have abysmally low priority.  It's best to have a whole slew of diagnosers, in the hope that one of them will finally get off his ass and do some work.

Dwarven personalities also matter.  Dwarves who "enjoy helping others" make the best health care providers.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

My guess is you're Dutch, Blingo?
My english teacher would try to stomp us when we said sick instead of ill. He was a great guy.

sick = feeling like puking (misselijk)
ill = down with some sickness (ziek)

On topic: I am not sure you need a new chief medical dwarf for another dwarf to start diagnosis. You could try.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:12:25 pm »

I'd use those two interchangeably in that context as a native English speaker.  FWIW.

And i dont bother with dwarf 'enjoys helping others'.  As far as im aware that has no impact on whether he will actually do it, just that it will generate a happy thought. (thats what therapist indicates on a mouseover anyway)  Absolutely dont use someone with the reverse trait however
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:18 am »

As far as I know the skill a dwarf has in any of the health skills has little or no effect on the chance of the ill/sick dwarf recovering (insert joke comparing to real life here). I usually enable all health labors for a handful of dwarfs and provide a well equipped hospital close to a well. It seems to work quite well.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:40:26 am »

My guess is you're Dutch, Blingo?
My english teacher would try to stomp us when we said sick instead of ill. He was a great guy.

On topic: I am not sure you need a new chief medical dwarf for another dwarf to start diagnosis. You could try.

I'm a native speaker and the two are interchangeable, at least in America. Could be a British thing.

On topic, if you disable all other labors it seems to help encourage them to do health care. Also make sure you have the right materials for whatever procedure needs to be done.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:44:30 am by Absentia »

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:34:29 am »

I'm a native speaker and the two are interchangeable, at least in America. Could be a British thing.

They're interchangeable in UK English also although there's a leaning on sick meaning nauseous.  But sick can simply mean "unwell" or "ill" absolutely no problem.  If we're being specific then the term is nausea.

However this is English and as we should all be aware that language is description, not prescription.  As long as the meaning is clearly understood we're all good.  :)
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:15 pm »

In my part of America at least, the meaning of "sick" changes depending on context.  If you simply say "I'm sick", it can go either way.  Usually it means the same as "I'm ill", namely that you have some sort of illness.  But it could also mean you're about to vomit, and you felt a need to express this with the fewest possible number of words, due to the urgency of the situation.  "I'm sick and tired of..." means you're extremely frustrated.  "I'm going to be sick" definitely means you are about to vomit.

We almost never use the word "ill" in spoken English where I live.  It sounds very formal.  I might use it when writing, if I want to be extremely clear.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 03:16:48 pm »

In my part of America at least, the meaning of "sick" changes depending on context.  If you simply say "I'm sick", it can go either way.  Usually it means the same as "I'm ill", namely that you have some sort of illness.  But it could also mean you're about to vomit, and you felt a need to express this with the fewest possible number of words, due to the urgency of the situation.  "I'm sick and tired of..." means you're extremely frustrated.  "I'm going to be sick" definitely means you are about to vomit.

We almost never use the word "ill" in spoken English where I live.  It sounds very formal.  I might use it when writing, if I want to be extremely clear.

Same in my part of the US. Someone telling their boss that they are not coming in to work due to illness is "calling in sick". Additionally, paid days off for illness at work are "sick days". You might say that someone "has an illness", but when describing how that person feels today you would say "Joe is sick today".
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:49 pm »

I'm (northern) irish. You must have a very strict english teacher! We have a concept here call "sick pay" for when you're ill, for example. Sometimes the definitions of words changes over time. Anyway, how could a perceived mistake in meaning even hint at my nationality!! :)

The medic: I'd actually forgotten about this while I was trying to get water into my fort, he's up and going again.
I think whoever mentioned low priority is correct; it took ages to get him sorted.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:30 pm »

martinuzz, as a fellow Dutchy, I'm joining in on the 'your teacher wasn't right' party. What I suspect may have happened is the following:

"I am ill" and "I am sick" are the same as "Ik ben ziek".
However, "I feel ill" and "I feel sick" are equivelant to "Ik voel me niet lekker", describing a generic symptom, often implying nausea.
He probly confused the two situations.

However, if you really want to make things confusing, there IS a difference between "I am nauseated" and "I am nauseous":
The first describes you feeling sick(;) ), the latter says you are making people sick.
So, to get slightly on topic again:
The forgotten beast is nauseous: it makes the dwarves nauseated. The dwarves feel sick; they have been inflicted with forgotten beast syndrome! :)

//Sorry for derailing your thread, blingo.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:05:55 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!