Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vampire tips and tricks  (Read 7087 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire tips and tricks
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 12:33:45 pm »

I got this question, If I stare at the bedrooms sections like forever ;)... would I see the vamp dwarf go to another room and feed from an sleeping one ??

Yes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can see it happening if you watch like a hawk. But it can take a while, and you don't get anything else done while you watch.

Another good way to narrow the field down a lot if go through and look at their happy thoughts. A vampire will never have thoughts about dining in a legendary dining room, having a great meal or a great drink. This is pretty painless to do using Dwarf Therapist. I just go down the list and hover over each dwarf to get the popup with their happy/sad thoughts. Any that don't have dining/drinking thoughts get their alchemy skill turned on as a flag. In my current game I was able to narrow it down to 3 dwarves that way. All were in the military and had been on duty long enough that they hadn't eaten in the dining room recently, and my booze/food quality wasn't yet up high enough to reliably get the thoughts for quality.

Then I just looked at the relationships for those 3 (u->select dwarf->c->z->r). One had a wife, 12 kids, and dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins, none of whom were at the fort. He also was a former member of 10 or so groups. The other two were quite normal, both being married to spouses who are in my fort and not too many relatives. Only historical figures (like vampires) will have many off-screen relatives and former organizations.

The vampire also had some interesting traits. He dreamed of ruling the world, for one thing. I've never seen a dwarf with that particular dream before. He also had a bunch of traits like not respecting the law, not getting along well with others, and a few more that seemed very appropriate for someone who makes a living by murdering people in their sleep. I don't know if this is typical for vampires, or if this guy was just a sociopath before he became a vampire. It makes sense that if he has survived for a hundred years as a vampire that his personality would have adapted. Someone should do some ‼SCIENCE‼ by checking a dwarf's traits before and after causing them to become a vampire.

When it comes to identifying vampires, how hard it is is really only determined by how much you are willing to exploit bugs. The list of former organizations is probably a bug. I'm not sure about the list of relatives, but it probably is (they really should come up with better background stories). As people always point out, it's a single player game, so if you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. Or making the game more enjoyable. Whichever way you prefer to look at it. :)

Another exploity way is to look at the deity(ies) listed in the relationship screen. A vampire will have a deity who has cursed at least one person to roam the night searching for blood to drink (or something like that, but don't confuse it with the were curses). This alone may or may not be considered an exploit, but if you give the dwarf a nickname like "vampire?" and look at the list of who the deity has cursed and now see one of the cursed dwarves with that nickname, you have definitely found your vampire, and also pretty definitely exploited a bug.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 06:57:41 am »

Another exploity way is to look at the deity(ies) listed in the relationship screen. A vampire will have a deity who has cursed at least one person to roam the night searching for blood to drink (or something like that, but don't confuse it with the were curses). This alone may or may not be considered an exploit, but if you give the dwarf a nickname like "vampire?" and look at the list of who the deity has cursed and now see one of the cursed dwarves with that nickname, you have definitely found your vampire, and also pretty definitely exploited a bug.

On top of this a vampire will always be a 'dubious' follower of the deity that actually cursed them.  Some things shake your faith.  This is obviously non-exclusive since any dwarf may have doubts.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 11:49:56 am »

I had a vampire and didn't like any of the ways to kill him... so I just kept allowing dwarven justice to take hold of him. Eventually he went insane inside the cells with melancholy. Now I am waiting to find out of melancholy will cause the vampire to kill himself (or die somehow) or if I will have an insane vampire running around forever. I also am eagerly waiting to find out of melancholy prevents them from drinking others.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »

Now I am waiting to find out of melancholy will cause the vampire to kill himself (or die somehow) or if I will have an insane vampire running around forever.
Will they throw themselves off cliffs? Could be amusing to watch if the drop isn't enough kill them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »

Another good way to narrow the field down a lot if go through and look at their happy thoughts. A vampire will never have thoughts about dining in a legendary dining room, having a great meal or a great drink. This is pretty painless to do using Dwarf Therapist. I just go down the list and hover over each dwarf to get the popup with their happy/sad thoughts. Any that don't have dining/drinking thoughts get their alchemy skill turned on as a flag.
Instead of narrowing it down after the fact I give every migrant the nickname "n", once I see them have thoughts about food/sleep or claim a room I remove the marker name. Combine with a check for dubious worship, and I know soonish who to keep an eye on, and for sure who is safe. Dubious candidates get a bit of solitary work until thirsty... or until I remember to rescue them.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 07:49:41 pm »

From experience in 40, best as I can gather...

If I were to wall in some free-range undead such that nobody could see them, and they'd never escape, and do this somewhere near a high-traffic area, they'd periodically interrupt any vampires I might have.  '...interrupted by Goblin Weaponuser Undead' in the message log would be a cue to lock him away.

Might be a discipline thing.  Might be a 'fears undead' thing, not sure, but in my current fort, my walled in vamp is having problems engraving his room due to the undead some 20+ urist away, I'd expect the same interrupts to occur if it was my vampire outside and the undead locked in a room.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »

From experience in 40, best as I can gather...

If I were to wall in some free-range undead such that nobody could see them, and they'd never escape, and do this somewhere near a high-traffic area, they'd periodically interrupt any vampires I might have.  '...interrupted by Goblin Weaponuser Undead' in the message log would be a cue to lock him away.

Might be a discipline thing.  Might be a 'fears undead' thing, not sure, but in my current fort, my walled in vamp is having problems engraving his room due to the undead some 20+ urist away, I'd expect the same interrupts to occur if it was my vampire outside and the undead locked in a room.

I have experienced the same effect, with my vampire getting spooked by the undead that are nearby but have no line-of-sight to the vampire.

Vampires may or may not see through walls. In adventure mode, you can see warm blooded creatures in unrevealed tiles using special vampire blood-vision. In fortress mode, the vampires gain the tag:
Code: [Select]
[CE_SENSE_CREATURE_CLASS:START:0:CLASS:GENERAL_POISON:15:4:0:1]though I don't actually know what that tag means.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:31 pm »

I have experienced the same effect, with my vampire getting spooked by the undead that are nearby but have no line-of-sight to the vampire.

Vampires may or may not see through walls. In adventure mode, you can see warm blooded creatures in unrevealed tiles using special vampire blood-vision. In fortress mode, the vampires gain the tag:
Code: [Select]
[CE_SENSE_CREATURE_CLASS:START:0:CLASS:GENERAL_POISON:15:4:0:1]though I don't actually know what that tag means.

It allows the vampire to sense any creature that has the creature class GENERAL_POISON, which is a class that the majority of creatures have. The only other class used in an unmodded game is EDIBLE_GROUND_BUG, which allows some vermin to be eaten by some farm animals such as turkeys.

START:0 means that the effect begins as soon as the unit becomes a vampire. The first number following the tag GENERAL_POISON is the tile that the sensed creature uses when not in direct view, and the other three after it define the foreground and background colour that the tile uses, as well as the brightness.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 11:24:11 am »

all feeding requires is that the victim is both non-hostile and asleep or unconscious.

I got this question, If I stare at the bedrooms sections like forever ;)... would I see the vamp dwarf go to another room and feed from an sleeping one ??
or it just magical "happens" until, someone its found dead or the act as seen by someone ?

You can see it happen. I've seen it happen multiple times, unfortunately. The only way I've been able to stop the feeding is to dismantle the bed QUICKLY.

Even if you send your military dorfs in there to "witness" it, they won't stop the feeding, but they'll show up as a witness in the justice panel to the murder. Sometimes.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!
Pages: 1 [2]