Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brainstorm - Capturing a Dragon in a Reclaim  (Read 518 times)

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brainstorm - Capturing a Dragon in a Reclaim
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:01:54 pm »

So this may seem like an odd thing to do in my first game since .40 came out, but I decided to reclaim a procedural fortress, and in the site chooser screen, I see that a dragon had destroyed the original site. Out of curiosity I checked in legend viewer and lo and behold, it is still sitting there (at least to my knowledge) devouring anyone that comes near. Now at first glance one might think to simply slay the dragon. But not me. I think it is best if I go one beyond that and capture the dragon.
Here is my problem though. In what way could I go about capturing a dragon that is already on an embark? I already have some ideas (Embarking with cages, an animal as bait, but I really don't know enough about the AI or how reclaiming works to know if they will work.)
Also, is there any harm in having multiple attempts at this? Like sending out a party, trying something, abandoning the site when that doesn't work, then trying again with a different party?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:07:53 pm by Evanissimo »

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorm - Capturing a Dragon in a Reclaim
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »

I know there are some bugs when you reclaim a lost fort, nothing gamebreaking just some bugs with how the units on the map already are treated, any surviving dwarfs from your previous attempts might be hostile. I don't think anyone has had much experiance repeatedly reclaiming a failed fort though. Also, whenever you attempt a reclaim the calander moves foreward 2 weeks, the dragon *might* leave during this period, or maybe something else will show up,  I don't know enough about worldgen in .40 to be sure.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:30:07 pm »

If you can build a cage trap and funnel the dragon through there it will be nice and easy.  But, if you "land" too close to it, and/or it spots you, it is likely to eat your starting 7 (although any dwarf can get a lucky decapitation hit on it).

I haven't tried in .40.x yet, but I have done multiple reclaims on a fort in .34.x.  Re-reclaiming then was no big deal.  Anything from your last attempt that wasn't on the wagon would be randomly scattered somewhere.  You may also have a ghost or two, but otherwise all you lose is a little bit of game time (and however much real time it takes to re-outfit the new expedition).  Unless, of course, it is a re-animating biome, or there is a necromancer there, then every reclaim gets harder...
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »

Disabling a bridge above cage traps did it for me.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:27:43 pm »

So I decided to generate another world with more savage beasts, in order to practice this. I found an abandoned fortress with just one dragon, and I proceded very cautiously, wall/dooring the only entrance, and putting cage traps inside tocapture the thing, upon finding the dragon and engageing its attention, I couldn't get the dwarves to actually run away in time, and they killed it.

I accidentally killed a Dragon.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:29:43 pm »

It happens.

I had a peacock kill a werebeast once.  In one hit.

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »

It wasn't even a sudden thing. They wailed on it for quite a while, and the dragon did get one of the 2 macedwarfs, but only because I put them off duty in the middle of the fight in an attempt to bait the dragon upstairs. Instead they just ran around willy nilly underground, until they got separated. After round one, the Dragon had a fractured skull and leg, and was falling unconcious constantly. Round 2 lasted only a few combat rounds before I had a dragon corpse and I had to call it quits.