Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for embarking  (Read 411 times)

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea for embarking
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:40:28 pm »

I just downloaded the new version of DF starter pack for 0.40.08 and while picking skills for my starting 7 I came up with an idea that might be interesting.

What if instead of having preset skills chosen by the embark profile or selecting all of the skills yourself there was a third option, whereby you get given a list of say... 30 or so dwarves from the mountainhome, with similar skillsets to those you find on immigrants, from which you can choose 7 to take with you. Perhaps you could have one dwarf with fully customizable skills to act as the expedition leader, or something, as well and choose six friends for him to take with him.

Or any number of potentially interesting variations. This could provide an interesting new level of challenge to the early game, depending on the random pool of dwarves and what skills they started with. You could find yourself lacking certain skills at high levels at first. Of course with a few seasons of training it wouldn't matter so much, and it as always it becomes moot as soon as the giant migration waves start rolling in. Still got my fingers crossed that migrations will be changed one day to stop this happening though!

What do you all think?
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for embarking
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:59 pm »

That's actually sorta similar to a themed game I did a while ago:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125735.msg4221285#msg4221285

Basically, I used random.org to randomize my embark, inclusive of all dwarven skills, items, and even the embark location.

Then, I added the caviat that no dwarf could ever be assigned skilled labor for any profession they did not have at least 1 native level in*.  That made things really challenging =).  It was a really fun challenge, and I've been meaning to give it another try.

Maybe after my current fort...

*Eventually I introduced an apprenticeship allowance in which I could apprentice an single unskilled dwarf in any profession that I already had one dwarf who had at least Master in it.