Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No migrants ever  (Read 588 times)

hikahi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No migrants ever
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:17:55 pm »

I've just started playing DF again after a long hiatus, and I'm currently playing v40.05.

I've started two different worlds, and in both of them I have never gotten even one migrant wave.

I thought the first one was because goblins conquered the dwarves shortly after I started playing (I think, it was still called the dwarven civilization after the kingship changed hands, but the new king was a goblin and the ambassador that came to me was goblin).

In the second world, the dwarven civilization seems to be flourishing, with a properly dwarven king and dwarves in the caravans, but still 3 years in and not one migrant. No messages about migrants either, so I know they're not passing me up because of 'death trap' status or something. I've also not gotten any history messages from the liaison in the second world, just one line that says something like 'the world is the same as it ever was'.

Anyone else experiencing this, or know what the heck is wrong with my game/worlds and what I can do to fix it? I'll happily generate a new world if I have to, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.

Thanks!  :D

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
Re: No migrants ever
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »

I've had 2 games now with only the two hard coded migrant waves but I do get the "The Fortress attracted no Migrants this year" message.  Which is weird because it's year 3, the dwarf civ is alive and the outpost liason and caravan got away safely.  All 21 adult dwarves are steel clad because why not.  So created wealth is huge.  Neighbours include all the usual suspects.  Confused.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:04 pm »

Check your d_init.txt for the following line:
Code: [Select]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]
If you do not have this line at all anywhere in d_init then you get no migrants or births, ever, as it defaults to 0.  (the first 2 waves still hardcode to a degree and will show, but no more)
Note that the above value of 220 is default where regular pop cap is 200.  designed to stop sending migrants yet still leave room for births.  with these 2 parameters its now easier to set up exactly how many dwarves you want.

If you are updating from earlier versions this is highly possible cause, the line its a recent addition.

edit: no news from the liaison (world is the same as ever) suggests your civ is not at war, rumours need to travel and your dwarves dont know much about distant goings on.  So, lots happening, just far away.

I suspect the 'fortress recieved no migrants' message now shows only if there was room under cap but nobody wanted to come.  with no strict pop cap they just cannot come.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:20:43 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

hikahi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:27 pm »

I didn't have the [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220] line, so I've added it now, but I'm a little unsure if that's all of the issue because I didn't get the two hardcoded migration waves. I also was not upgrading from an older version, but I am using Mayday so maybe his was built from an old version.

My civ has since started a war with the elves, so I really don't think they are extinct. Right now I'm cowering behind my walls from a small horde of undead siegers, once they bugger off I'll give it a restart and see if I get some migrants. Thanks! :D

hikahi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:00:01 am »

That solution worked, migration waves are arriving normally now, thanks so much!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:22:37 am »

I didn't have the [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220] line, so I've added it now, but I'm a little unsure if that's all of the issue because I didn't get the two hardcoded migration waves. I also was not upgrading from an older version, but I am using Mayday so maybe his was built from an old version.

Odd odd.  You ought always still get those first 2 waves.  Im not aware of anything having changed that prevents that behaviour.  Seems like even those 2 waves now respect the strict cap.
Glad your issue is solved anyhow
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:30:49 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:15:36 am »

Quote from: Someone just said:
Seems like even those 2 waves now respect the strict cap.

let's not jump to that conclusion.  Test it first.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:18:13 am »

Hiya,

Quote from: Someone just said:
Seems like even those 2 waves now respect the strict cap.

let's not jump to that conclusion.  Test it first.

I can confirm that the wave arriving in the first autumn DOES respect the pop cap, because if the liaison leaves before the wave arrives and the fort population is already at or above the cap, the autumn wave does NOT come.  The autumn wave comes ONLY if the liaison has not yet left, OR if the fort's population is less than the cap.

No idea about the 1st summer wave.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur