Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF2014 Farming Update?  (Read 2728 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Farming Update?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »

Dame, that was what he was trying to poing out.

Whoops, my bad, I misunderstood.  My apologies.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 03:18:45 pm »

I've certainly seen no changes.  I've always taken issue with that line, 3x3 has never cut it for me

Since the popcap by default is what...  150?  200?  A mature fortress is therefore not 100 dwarves.  3x3 will not feed my definition of a mature fort, not even close.

When did farming change though?  Im sure i remember a stack reduction at some point, was that 32->34 perhaps?

I certainly used to be able to overflow my farming storages easier than i can these days, but cant put my finger on when things have changed.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »

There has not been any change to the production capacity of a farm plot in 0.40 so far.

But as I said previously, dwarf consumption *has* changed. A quick test reveals that idle dwarves are approximately 10% thirstier in v0.40 as compared to v0.34.

The wiki, by the way, claims a fully-utilized 3x3 plot *is* sufficient to supply a mature fortress in v0.34.

Whoever wrote that didn't show their work.  I assume they mean some combination of quarry bushes for food and plump helmets for booze, and magically preventing the dwarves from ever eating a raw plump helmet, and using fertilizer, and having enough Legendary+N planters that at least one is on duty (not on break) all the time, and probably some other voodoo.

The numbers are cleverly hidden in that big table in the middle of the page. Using straight plump helmets:

Average stack size(5) x harvests per year (12) x brewing multiplier (5) = 300 alcohol per tile per year
300 x farm tiles (9) = 2700 alcohol per year.

2700 / ( drinks per year (16) + meals per year (8 ) ) = 112.5 dwarves

Possibly this was calculated back when straight booze-cooking worked, but adding a few plump helmet spawn to the ingredient list should have your kitchen making bountiful wine roasts just like old times.

It does require the planters to be on task, but an average stack size of 5 appears reasonable, especially with fertilization.
Pages: 1 [2]