Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Children immune to justice?  (Read 2044 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Children immune to justice?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »

In my society there are no crimes and there are no criminals. Children aren't exempt.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »

Looking at a disassembly of the relevant code , it appears that units with the following properties are exempt from being punished by the Justice system:
* Dead
* Insane or in a strange mood
* Child or Baby
* Not a Dwarf (to exclude animals)
* Not a fortress member (to exclude Goblinized dwarves)
* Local position holder with PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION

This is pretty much how it's always been - even back in version 0.23.130.23a (the last 2D version, from the days of Boatmurdered), the only difference was that Nobles were checked earlier (between insane and child/baby) and used different criteria (it just checked profession), and "civ member" was checked before "difference was in how nobles were excluded (it just did them by profession).

Interestingly, it looks like there may be a bug with how nobles are handled which would make the Baron, Count, and Duke eligible for justice because they're appointed at the civilization level instead of at your fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »

Some of the children I locked in the rectangle of impending fall went berserk and have started murdering their fellow juvenile delinquents. I seem to have created a child cage fight death match battle royale, my only regret is that the miners might not finish building the death drop in before they all kill each other if this continues.

Looking at a disassembly of the relevant code , it appears that units with the following properties are exempt from being punished by the Justice system:
* Dead
* Insane or in a strange mood
* Child or Baby
* Not a Dwarf (to exclude animals)
* Not a fortress member (to exclude Goblinized dwarves)
* Local position holder with PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION

This is pretty much how it's always been - even back in version 0.23.130.23a (the last 2D version, from the days of Boatmurdered), the only difference was that Nobles were checked earlier (between insane and child/baby) and used different criteria (it just checked profession), and "civ member" was checked before "difference was in how nobles were excluded (it just did them by profession).

Interestingly, it looks like there may be a bug with how nobles are handled which would make the Baron, Count, and Duke eligible for justice because they're appointed at the civilization level instead of at your fortress.

So we can't have our fortress guard futilely beat the crap out of dead criminals, grand theft auto style?
And we can't have them drag the crazies off to the funny farm?

Side note: not sure if that insanity one is true, I have a stark raving mad miner chained to a jail cell
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:24:03 pm by random_odd_guy »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »

My queen in one of my past forts died due to infections after several beatings for draining the dwarf for blood. Then again I selected her from the list...
Also for the insane one, I'm thinking along the lines of berserk.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »

Berserk dwarves stop being listed as civ members outright, instead becoming enemies, so that probably falls under "not a fortress member" anyway. my population is steadily dwindling, my hammerer is entitled "the scorn of mourning" which seems appropriate somehow. im down to 71 or so darves finally, most of which remaining are already insane or losing any and all care due to the carnage exposal. the only problem now is getting rid of this miasma and cleaning up the bodies...and waiting for the last few crazies to die off.

so it seems my tantrum spiral has reached its end point of "everyone who is still alive is either already insane or stopped caring" with a large population of nearly 70 dwarves. if any of these kids survive to adulthood let me tell you, they will NOT care about anything, ever. so uh, now my problem is the corpses and miasma...that's gonna be a problem for immigrants, even if the dwarves i already have stopped caring about it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:04:57 pm by random_odd_guy »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »

my hammerer is entitled "the scorn of mourning" which seems appropriate somehow.

"Oh, Medtob, Medtob... Armok took you too early!"

"GET OVER IT!"
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:32 pm »

I've watched a video of a child getting shot by an arrow to death post-siege
Pages: 1 [2]