Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weak sieges?  (Read 1410 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weak sieges?
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:06:57 am »

I don't mess around with necromancers and stuff but I embarked in a place that was connected to goblins and elves that I'm at war with. I got sieged by them and by kobolds on several occasions but the siege is always one squad of weak characters who don't get past my 3 serrated disc traps.

I remember being sieged in the last version by several squads of goblins riding olms, sometimes riding giant bats and flying over the wall and 2 or 3 squads of trolls at the same time.

My fortress is worth more than 1 million now. I'm going to keep improving it but has anyone else got better sieges than this?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weak sieges?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:25 pm »

Maybe they are sending their main forces went after larger places....I got sieged by 40 goblins, a cave dragon, and 4 trolls.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:03:08 pm by locustgate »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »

That's good I thought it was another bug we'd have to wait for fixing for. The elves are at war with the gobbos as well so maybe neither is strong enough to send a big force. Maybe I'll have to start a new fortress...

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »

Lol you think thats bad you should have seen the first one that came after me.  I had one come early, the first caravan had just left and thanks to a 6-7 deep aquifer I had to pierce I didnt have any traps setup.  I was franticly locking the door and starting a wall on the inside bemoning the fact that I didnt have time to bring the livestock inside... the squad got its ass kicked by the sheep and goats.  One ewe did eventually die from wounds it took a few months later but 2 of the squad died and the rest fled from barnyard animals.  Most pathetic siege ever.

this was back on the 40.04 revision though, havent had time to play on the newer patches.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »

yeah invading armies need better discipline, that's for sure. I got my live training to work now and the gobbos just give up and die almost instantly

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:33:36 pm »

All Sieges are weak compared to the unbridled power of Mr. Beard, Legendary Everything and Captain of the Guard.

Anyway, discipline is easy as hell to train. Dwarves get it from training with each other in a squad in a barracks.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:05 pm »

My dwarves' discipline is fine, it's the enemies' that sucks. I recently got a double siege! Gobbos and kobolds at the same time. They started killing each other even thought their civs are supposedly at peace and by the time my dwarves got there, they just had to mop up the terrified gobbos that were left

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:51:28 am »

My dwarves' discipline is fine, it's the enemies' that sucks. I recently got a double siege! Gobbos and kobolds at the same time. They started killing each other even thought their civs are supposedly at peace and by the time my dwarves got there, they just had to mop up the terrified gobbos that were left

Interesting, have double sieges always been a thing? I just got one at the start of spring on my second year in this version but I had never seen one before. Both forces showed up literally within a second of each other.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:32 am »

I thought this would be one of those things people fix automatically.  Like how many of us have nails and cartilege that heals, the fix is known, just not live in vanilla.
(I realise not everyone has looked at the files or is that way knowledgable, just ask for help in one of the little questions threads however and bingo, code snippets and instructions)

Everything in my world has natural novice discipline, from animals to sentients.  What they do with it from there is their own lookout through worldgen and regular gameplay.  But no-skill or dabbler disc gives rabbit-in-the-headlight behaviour.  Why would I want that?  Actually...maybe i'll remove Disc from rabbits and deer, some benign prey.

Point is:  This game is massively moddable right?  We can change and tweak sooo much stuff.  Some of us want to play Toady's vision, thats fine, but no harm making fixes he will implement in the immediate future.  This is a balance issue that he hasnt gotten around to yet, as he quite rightly hammers the bugs out of this newest generation.  Balance your own game :)

edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:35:07 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 04:11:56 pm »

nice, thanks!