Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4.xx still buggy?  (Read 521 times)

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
4.xx still buggy?
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:43 am »

I have been reluctant to play 4.xx until it is stable.
I am never the kind of person that gives feedback anyways so im not letting the community down by skipping it.

I see that there are dozens of bug fixes every day right now and wonder if there is any advice for when I should jump in. I am not adversed to some random bug affecting me but when its something basic and functional then it just ruins things for me.

Also, the biggest change for me (as I only play fortress mode) is that we now have BIG-ASS-TREE's ... are they any changes that I will notice from previous version?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.xx still buggy?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:10:46 am »

It should be running fairly well as of 40.08 (I've just been generating worlds, no fortresses yet).

The bugs that I've encountered and I think are still remaining:

1. Smashed fingernails won't heal
2. Quarry bushes don't leave enough seeds to replenish
3. Some animals might not breed (possibly due to orientation)

I think 2 and 3 can be fixed by manually editing files.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:35 am »

Fingernails have always been this way, haven't they?  I have heard that fingernail damage is even more likely to lead to fatal infections now, but that might just be because danger rooms are apparently more dangerous now.  Haven't ever used one so I don't know really.  In any case, I'm pretty sure this can be fixed by editing the raws too.  Adding a healing rate to the nail tissue should be all that's needed.  I know that works for making hooves heal anyway.

Anyway, the .40 line is still kind of wonky in some ways, yes.  It's not cripplingly buggy anymore, and in fact has fixed a lot of really old and annoying bugs.  The biggest complaints right now seem to focus on the morale system, which is pretty broken in both fort and adventure modes right now.  Things run away from just about anything now, which can make stuff... difficult.  A few features still aren't completed either, like handling of plants and harvesting of fruit from trees.  No ETA on when that will be finished.

It's probably fine to play now, really.  Save compatibility has been preserved for quite a few versions now so you probably don't have to worry about that at least.  You'll probably still see the occasional hiccup, like stuff getting stuck in trees or almost unkillable zombies, but it's not too buggy to at least start familiarizing yourself with the changes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:08:53 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:13 am »

Flying animals are suspended in the air and cannot move, so if you want new animals to move ontop the map you'll have to find some way to kill the birds that are stuck in the air or delete the [FLIER] entry for all flying animals in the raws.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:19 am »

The bugs that I've encountered and I think are still remaining:

1. Smashed fingernails won't heal
2. Quarry bushes don't leave enough seeds to replenish
3. Some animals might not breed (possibly due to orientation)
4. The flyer tag causes wild animals to stop coming into your fortress so use notepad++ to remove it from all the raws, it's pretty easy.
5. I tried pitting enemies yesterday and found a bug that was supposed to be fixed but isn't. So no pitting either

It's mostly this. I've also found that sieges are kinda weak now. I've been sieged a few times by gobbos, elves and kobolds and it's always just one squad, sometimes the kobolds send only two guys

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »

The wiki also has a list of Known bugs and issues which may be incomplete, but definitely has some bugs not mentioned in this thread yet.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz