Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undisciplined Martial Trances  (Read 586 times)

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undisciplined Martial Trances
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:19:17 am »

The early siege hit early Winter. I had two Axedwarfs in training for about half a year by that point, but I also drafted the Competent Speardwarf who was in the second migrant wave (and gave her an axe).  When the 7 Gobbos showed up, I'm pretty sure her Discipline was still Dabbling. So she had roughly half a level if Discipline and one of Axe.  Fully clad and armed in iron.

Anyways, the Goblin embark team was two crossbows, two lashers, two maces (one a silver maul!) and a speargoblin. I wasn't too confidant of my Defense Forces so the grazers were pulled inside and the drawbridge raised. I figured the liaison and caravan were both gone and no one expected until spring - we could just wait it out. I had just bought a pile of Fish and my fort was stocked with several hundred food and drink. I had also just popped up a wood stockpile inside the curtain wall so I would still have a good supply of iron smelting fuel. The wood stockpile filled pretty fast because dwarfs could pop out the back door and collect logs from both sides of the fort.

Oh, better lock that back door. It's "f" to forbid, right?

Imagine my surprise when my axe carrying Speardwarf charged out through the door. Nuts, I did not want to set up a graveyard yet. Harrumph.

Less than one minute later, the goblins routed. Well, the three that were left - and she killed one of them too as they tried to flee. Urist McFreshRecruit just slaughtered them. Took less time for it than to recover enough to come back through the now lowered drawbridge.

It was a martial trance. Limbs and heads sailing off in arcs everywhere - with her lamenting the horrors with each one. Her morale "broke" half a dozen times as she singledwarfedly dispatched the siege.  The trance ended after all enemies were gone and she immediately fell into a quivering cowering mass of fear. Of amazingly badass fear.

She gained two levels of Discipline, presumably from repeatedly getting frightened.

Moral of the story?  It's "l" to forbid doors.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.