Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow multiple crops on a single farm plot  (Read 1952 times)

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
Allow multiple crops on a single farm plot
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:35 pm »

I'm wondering if there's a way to allow dwarves to plant any seed that fits in a farm plot. That is, no plump helmets above ground, but allow strawberries and cabbages in the same plot without micromanaging.

I want my dwarves to grow the food they feel like growing instead of being told what to grow by a dictator. Plants that more dwarves like to eat will naturally have more seeds and therefore have a higher chance of being planted.

To be clear, I don't want to remove any restrictions currently in place on where plants can be assigned to fields, I just want to magically assign all the possible plants for a given field to that field.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Allow multiple crops on a single farm plot
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »

Not that I know of. I havent even heard of a dfhack script that could do that... but you could make one farmplot for each type of seed... takes a bit more space, but would work as you describe.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:29 pm »

you could make one farmplot for each type of seed

That's what I was trying to avoid. There are a lot of crop types and finding a good location for a rectangular farm plot (I've been experimenting with 3x5 plots) gets harder the more I need to find.

I imagine a dfhack script could be something like "every few frames, set every farm plot's seed type to a random one that can be grown in that plot that we have seeds for". Does dfhack work with 0.40?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »

No it doesnt work with the new version yet, and no, what you describe wouldnt work, because the dwarf doing the labor would cancel the job "plant seeds", because by then the farmplot only accepts a different type of seed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:16:54 pm »

No it doesnt work with the new version yet, and no, what you describe wouldnt work, because the dwarf doing the labor would cancel the job "plant seeds", because by then the farmplot only accepts a different type of seed.
What if it checked whether a job was generated, and only switched to the next seed type if a dwarf wasn't already on the way to plant one?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:07:43 am »

What if it checked whether a job was generated, and only switched to the next seed type if a dwarf wasn't already on the way to plant one?
Or just do it relatively slowly. Or have like fifty tiny one-tile plots, and only set one at a time.

I do miss dfhack workflow, though. It'd be cool to set by 'do stuff to all the things in this stockpile, until it is empty.