Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doubly odd - vampire + zombie  (Read 622 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doubly odd - vampire + zombie
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:08 pm »

Facing off an undead siege.

I do have a vampire among my dwarves.
He was a naughty vampire as such things go, killed people in their sleep and then hid their bodies in my refuse pile.

So he's now contemplating his navel smoothing his entire 11x11 room, which has no outside access of any kind.  For future use added security, his secure room is between the mayor and baron's accommodations, more than 20 z levels below the surface.   I'd been ignoring him for a while, and now with the siege and necromancers and undead and such, until this:

I've re-checked: The only entity in his room is him.  No undead.  No ghosts.  No anything.

So two questions:
1) I thought you had to be in line of sight of something to take notice of it.  Am I mistaken, or is this a bug?
2) I thought vampires didn't much care any which way for zombies.  Has that changed?

//Torrenal

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Doubly odd - vampire + zombie
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:38:33 pm »

I think vampires got the ability to sense creatures without direct line of sight so that's probably why. I don't know why they're fine with zombies now, but there's quite a few weird changes to zombies which probably caused that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:07 pm »

Indeed, vampire have "blood sense", they can detect creatures at distance. Remember the vampires being scared of the dwellers of the underworld?

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:06:16 pm »

This gives me an idea for a vampire testing machine. Dwarf goes in room next to room full of enemy things. If the dwarf stops, he/she is a vampire, if the dwarf doesn't, he/she is fine.