Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone else have this problem?  (Read 976 times)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone else have this problem?
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:39:39 pm »

All the fortresses I make tend to end up having either piles and piles of iron with no flux stone, or piles and piles of flux stone with no iron. The second leads to plenty of FUN when goblins/kobolds/elves arrive.
Does this happen to other people, or am I just terrible at choosing embark locations?

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:08:31 pm »

what setting are you using for mineral frequency on world generation?

There's a long standing bug that if you select 'everywhere' for mineral occurrence, you get 0 flux and the variety of metals is wonky as well, long story short, never use 'everywhere' for mineral occurrence. I don't notice any problems with using 'frequent' for mineral occurrence but I'm told to leave it at 'sparse'

This should help..

Are you filtering for locations including flux? Also, when you're talking about your experience with mineral frequency, are you digging some prospect shafts? or are you un-revealing the map to view all the contents? Just asking because your flux can occur quite deep down if your embark view said flux existed there and you weren't digging it up...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:14:40 pm by TurboSlug22 »

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »

Frequent.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:57 pm »

hmm then yea, personally I've had no problems with finding flux using 'frequent' for mineral occurrence. Bad luck I think...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:23 pm »

The latter situation used to not be so bad. Usually I could build a nice drowning/magma trap or a long galley overhung by shooting galleries from which bone bolts rained upon the Goblin Christmas. 'Twould then be trivial to combine flux and goblin iron to make good dwarven steel...

But now invasions seem to come much, much faster.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:05:20 pm »

Well for example in a recent fort, the flux must have been somewhere below the magma sea because i dug all the way down there right before a Fun Bastard slaughtered everyone, and in my current fort it seems to be metamorphic layers all the way down with a few marble layers, so no iron there.
I use mines, and no mods. Also dark thanks for the idea.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:21 am »

what setting are you using for mineral frequency on world generation?

There's a long standing bug that if you select 'everywhere' for mineral occurrence, you get 0 flux and the variety of metals is wonky as well, long story short, never use 'everywhere' for mineral occurrence. I don't notice any problems with using 'frequent' for mineral occurrence but I'm told to leave it at 'sparse'

That bug was fixed in 0.40.04! It was a display error in the site finder.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:54 am »

Sometimes the flux isnt even a layer, despite what site finder may have told you, but blobs of marble in the lowest metamorphic layers.  Theres never anything solid past the sea, nothing you wanna know about anyway...  Channeling a hole in the warm rock down deep so you can see the sea might help you locate them if they are exposed.  A fort without any flux at all is very rare for me.

Unfortunately if you really have metamorphic every single layer then you are bang out of luck for iron, yes.  Does you embark cover more than 1 biome?  You can expect different layers under that if so.  Igenous extrusive would do, i dont think your going to see anything sedimentary in a primarily metamorphic region geologically.

And remember this is how stone works, its not RNG, its geologically appropriate to the world map.  So if you have a habit of building forts in a particular type/style of area and pick a landscape inconducive to sedimentary rock you can expect many poor-iron forts.  Mountains and volcanos generally bring igneous extrusive, which at least has a little and often a high sedimentary layer which brings lots.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:48:34 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.