Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Explodes into gore?  (Read 4317 times)

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Explodes into gore?
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:08:03 pm »

What do those blunt trauma crits supposed to do?
My hand got hit by a goblin's warhammer, but I was able to sleep it off after it got sploded into gore. Is it supposed to work like severing?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Explodes into gore?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:10:40 pm »

Doing a forum search:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=search2

Pulls up this:
Think of it this way: a pretty bad cut on your hand by a kitchen knife is gory. The explodes part is whats throwing people off.

Just think of it as "part in question is now gory."

I haven't played the new versions, but it does appear that 'exploding into gore' implies not explosive damage but a rapid deterioration into a chunky fleshmound of blood.  Like getting a nasty cut that exposes raw meat.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:12:16 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:23:58 pm »

poo. I thought blunt got buffed.
Besides, punching heads into gore sounds more like Fist of the North Star rather than a bleeding skull fracture.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:37:11 pm by Amuys »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »

"Explodes into gore" represents pulping, a mechanic that leaves the given body part useless and beyond repair.
This is effectively the same thing as "cloven asunder" (probably closer to what pisskop is referring) and the other pulping messages that I can't remember at the moment.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »

Yeah, it makes the part in question useless and prevents necromancers from (re-)raising the affected creature.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:04:25 pm »

It doesn't always indicate major trauma, but that might be a bug:
0006854: Creatures with pulped throats don't die

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:24:41 pm »

So is it possible for a weapon to hit someone hard enough to blow apart? Like if they hit a obstacle.

grisha5

• Bay Watcher
  • [SACRIFICE_CAT:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:11 pm »

in battle arena, a wolf exploded into gore
kittunns yay ~WalterWhite from DashNet forums
i am a cat. with a laser gun to shoot cat killers

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:37:24 pm »

So is it possible for a weapon to hit someone hard enough to blow apart? Like if they hit a obstacle.

No, but weapon hits can be hard enough to send someone flying, possibly so that they hit an obstacle and explode. This generally requires modding to accomplish.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 10:25:21 pm »

Good old SEVERS_ON_BREAK. How I miss ye.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:31:44 pm »

No, but weapon hits can be hard enough to send someone flying, possibly so that they hit an obstacle and explode. This generally requires modding to accomplish.

Not true. If there's a large size difference between a target and an attacker, such as that between a dwarf and a bronze colossus, the smaller target is frequently punted around one or two squares. If the difference is even larger, critters will fly even further. (This is rather satisfying when applies to keas.)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:09:13 pm »

Apparently pulping injuries are still recoverable. During a recent near-fatal tantrum spiral I had a couple of dwarfs have hands "explode into gore", and after they got stitched and splinted and spent a few months on Rest the injuries are back up to yellow and they no longer have "ability to grasp somewhat impaired". Which is nice, because one victim was one of two surviving miners and had also piled up quite a bit of Carpenter skill making caskets.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:36 pm »

Apparently pulping injuries are still recoverable. During a recent near-fatal tantrum spiral I had a couple of dwarfs have hands "explode into gore", and after they got stitched and splinted and spent a few months on Rest the injuries are back up to yellow and they no longer have "ability to grasp somewhat impaired". Which is nice, because one victim was one of two surviving miners and had also piled up quite a bit of Carpenter skill making caskets.

I think blunt trauma including pulping tends to be less permanent than edged trauma. Shattered bones and pulped flesh can heal where as severed nerves and tendons do not. Perhaps toady should add a high chance of destroyed tendons and nerves to body parts that suffer massive bone shattering blunt trauma.

It should be noted that pulping is a descriptor of the extent of blunt injury to a body part. It indicates the structural failure of that part but not its physical state. So when you read that something explodes into gore its kind of a generic descriptor rather than an exact indicator of the sort injury that was sustained. Exploded into gore essentially just means the body part has taken enough blunt trauma to lose is structural function but it doesn't actually tell you the sort of injuries sustained. You have to look at the body part yourself to figure that out. For instance a hand that has "exploded into gore" would likely have a bunch of severe fractures and split open flesh. The hand no longer works as a hand at least temporarily due to the severity of its injuries but it hasn't literally exploded into little pieces so it can heal. I think where pulping becomes fatal is when internal organs become involved. I don't think I have seen anything survive a pulped torso or head for instance.

Pulping is a new mechanic so it is to be expected that its a bit clunky at the moment. The reason a pulped throat probably doesn't kill is the throat is not considered to contain vital organs and blunt damage won't sever arteries. In other words a pulped throat despite having absolutely massive blunt trauma will still have the arteries intact so bleeding out doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:19:36 pm by Melting Sky »