Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Climbing and constructed walls  (Read 1830 times)

Urist McShaft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Climbing and constructed walls
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:35:27 pm »

My last few forts were just not ready in time for the first invasion.
I got lucky this time and got my initial walls and drawbridge up before the goblins came.

Bridge was raised and everyone seemed fine as the goblins kind of danced around the perimeter.
As one of the squads neared my southern wall, there was a freakout.  Animals and dwarves alike, shooting out of my courtyard, walls be damned.
They were hunted down and killed.  Odd thing was, one of the goblins made it inside anyway.

Am I seeing climbing at work here?  A bug maybe?
Normally, I make the walls two units deep , with the outer layer 2 units high(The highest layer is constructed fortifications).  That is what I was working on when they showed up.
I could use some advice on defense now that sieges happen properly.  I usually have 10-16 dwarves by the time I get my first invasion.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Climbing and constructed walls
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:21:21 am »

If your walls are made out of rough stone, they'll climb more easily, blocks less so, and smoothed natural walls are near imposible to climb.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:39:59 am »

I've seen a Werebeast jumping a wall tile (constructed with stone block).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »

Animals and dwarves alike, shooting out of my courtyard, walls be damned.

Were these walls constructed in version 0.40.07?  Did they have the "Unknown material" bug?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:39:14 pm »

In paranoia, I habitually roof my outdoor structures as well as cavern forays.

While this takes longer, it prevents the threat of climbers now in addition to fliers. In order to make it happen fast enough in time for the early attacks, every dwarf inevitably gets drafted into the mason profession until the fortress can be sealed.
And so he linked the !!flame!!

Urist McShaft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »

This save was entirely from .08 - I reloaded and managed to survive.
I did not know about roofing structures, so I may do that.

Above the cave part of my entrance, siegers still harass me.

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:21:29 pm »

It's usually most efficient to construct a staircase to the roof level and the build the floor out from there. Once completed, build a stairway from the outside and deconstruct the top stairs, replacing them with a floor. You can leave the stairs or deconstruct them, since if sealed properly it won't matter if they are on the roof or not.

If someone has a better method than this, feel free to share it.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:49 pm »

will creatures be able to climb a structure like this:
Code: (side view) [Select]
       ▓▓▓
enemy=> ▓ => fortress
        ^
        walls in a T section
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:16:15 pm »

Hmm, I have no idea. I can test it with Cats, who are by default, legendary climbers. and if a Cat cannot climb it, then I think it would be safe to say that neither could a goblin.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:15:25 pm »

It's usually most efficient to construct a staircase to the roof level and the build the floor out from there. Once completed, build a stairway from the outside and deconstruct the top stairs, replacing them with a floor. You can leave the stairs or deconstruct them, since if sealed properly it won't matter if they are on the roof or not.

Build an up-stair in place of one of the exterior wall tiles, and a down-stair above. Build one or more retracting bridges as a roof. Deconstruct the down-stair, then the up-stair, then build a wall there.

will creatures be able to climb a structure like this:
       ▓▓▓
enemy=> ▓ => fortress
        ^
        walls in a T section

Yes. Toady said the ceiling-to-floor transition wasn't yet implemented at one point, so something like this might work (at least temporarily):

_ _
enemy=> ▓ => fortress

_ = floor

Fortifications seem to be proof against climbing, so this design would be more functional:

# #
enemy=> ▓ => fortress

# = fortification

Just don't build a down-stair on top of the wall; creatures may be able to climb through diagonally if you do.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:44:30 am »

can they get through a locked hatch?

if not, make your entrance be stairs down from the surface, put a hatch over each stairs, and lock them if enemies get close.

same for the roof, just put hatches over the stairs and lock them.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:19 am »

can they get through a locked hatch?

if not, make your entrance be stairs down from the surface, put a hatch over each stairs, and lock them if enemies get close.

same for the roof, just put hatches over the stairs and lock them.
not in if you make an "U" bend so the outside can only access the hatch from bellow, from the top a building destroyer can break it and a thieve can pick it...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »

That method is only best if you want a stair up the inside afterwards anyway.  If you just want a hollow tower or box or whatever then begin with the staircase outside, roof from there.  Can just leave it afterwards as you say
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.