Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question.  (Read 1223 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question.
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:23:16 pm »

I am just making sure.

Time now passes while in fortress mode correct?

If so this new fortress starting in year 5 should be fun.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:03:58 am »

Yes, events happen in the world outside your fortress in 0.40.  However, the events do not progress exactly how they would during regular world generation.  Most strikingly, every attempted siege is successful.  The attacker always wins, regardless of numbers.  So, in most worlds, your liaison gives you a long string of reports of the goblins taking over dwarven settlements, one by one....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mardukker

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with tetrahedric spikes of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:16 am »

Not fun at all, if experience taught me right. I started in an early year and there are no invasions. The outpost liaison just tells me "the world is the same as it has always been".

Must be because I have a pocket map, though.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:41:15 am »

Yes, events happen in the world outside your fortress in 0.40.  However, the events do not progress exactly how they would during regular world generation.  Most strikingly, every attempted siege is successful.  The attacker always wins, regardless of numbers.  So, in most worlds, your liaison gives you a long string of reports of the goblins taking over dwarven settlements, one by one....

But there are often survivors ("few months ago refugees calling themselves The Quake of Carnality fled from area just before an army of The Small Vice led by the elf Kutsmob Fiendbaited the Grim Practice of Craziness descended upon the place"), do they erect new fortresses maybe? That would be awesome, because that would led to more and more ruins in time, until the whole world would be a wasteland with no place to hide.

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 11:46:37 am »

Answer.

What a descriptive subject.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »

So for as long as you have a fortress running in the world then your civ turns into a bunch of pansies and losses every seige? Well then... that kinda ruins the fun in a way.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 04:18:57 pm »

No, everyone loses every siege. Goblins are more likely to attack, and in worldgen they usually lose, which keeps everything balanced.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »

No, everyone loses every siege. Goblins are more likely to attack, and in worldgen they usually lose, which keeps everything balanced.

So everyone turns into a bunch of pansies and you have the only real dwarfs in the world? Hell, lets take over the world! Where is Pinky and the Brain when you need them?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »

Goblins are more likely to attack, and in worldgen they usually lose, which keeps everything balanced.
Up to a point. I've seen goblin nations pounded to near oblivion, then holding on for years because the last hundred goblins are all legendary warriors with titles.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »

This makes life more interesting than in past versions.

I've had goblin invasions composed entirely of elves.  I've had elvish traders walk over the dead bodies of the elvish invasions...

I've also had goblin run dwarf civs.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

So everyone turns into a bunch of pansies and you have the only real dwarfs in the world? Hell, lets take over the world! Where is Pinky and the Brain when you need them?
Urist and the Socks, Socks, Socks, Socks, Socks.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.