Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Terrors  (Read 663 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Old Terrors
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:02:41 pm »

I want to know all the things from old versions people used to be afraid of. I'm going to make a mod that restores them to as much of their former glory as possible. Here's my list so far:
  • Elephants
  • Carp
  • Giant mosquitoes
  • Giant sponges
  • Badgers/wolverines
  • The old demons

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Old Terrors
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:15:17 pm »

There's the 'King of Beasts' pages on the wiki.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

In summary:
  • Elephants were absolutely vicious in .23a, because size heavily correlated with combat-effectiveness instead of just thicker tissues.  Getting Boatmurdered elephants back would probably need to alter the physical stats themselves and/or give some natural skill, including discipline.  Or maybe the rage tag, which does increase strength, when it's enraged.
  • Carp were infamous because of a bug related to physical attributes rising with skill (carp are constantly swimming) and an OP biting attack.
  • Giant badgers at least are still quite deadly (the [PRONE_TO_RAGE:1] tag was what made them so), but what gave it that reputation was how common it was.  A lot of the new animals from .34 tend to crowd them out. 
  • Giant sponges were invulnerable in .34 because accumulated damage and pulping had not been yet implemented, and because it had only one body and no blood, it couldn't be killed.  You can add a version of the [BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY] with [PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE], which would make it immune to the one bodypart collapsing.
I would also say, the new demons are often more deadly than the old ones.  Not just because of greater numbers, but because of the possibility of horrors like deadly dust spewing metal demons, which may be even worse than Spirits of Fire. It's perfectly possible to mod in a Spirit of Fire though.  (try giving them dragonfire for !!Fun!!)

I also would not try to spike up the giant mosquito population on the map to hundreds, since that's a good way to utterly annihilate the framerate.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:26:17 pm by samanato »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:27:29 pm »

Wolves and sturgeons. Wolves and sturgeons.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »

And giant mosquitoes were infamous for a short time because they would appear on the map in swarms of hundreds.