Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40.05] Convincing military to wear both gauntlets/boots/other armor.  (Read 4170 times)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New version. same issues. : ( I've played DF for a while, and finally decided to get back in with the new update. I started up a new fort along a main path of my nation (new trees are AMAZING, by the way), and designated two of my starting seven as crossbow dwarves. I pre-packaged myself with a bunch of cassiterite and native copper, and pumped out full bronze suits for them within the first season.

Unfortunately, one-footed and one-handed armor is all the rage in the new version (or something) since they refuse to wear the full pair.
  • They are in the same squad, both active, both have standing orders to station themselves at points (one at my camp, the other at my dig site.)
  • They both have assigned uniforms of a helm, mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, x2 low boots (civ doesn't have high boots) and gauntlets. Even though it says low boots,' I remember that previously, if you didn't enter it in twice, they only wore one. They also have wood shields and bronze crossbows, but they're fine equipping those.
  • Equipped uniforms are set to 'replace clothing' and 'close enough' for matching.

I'm going to try throwing all of my armor into stockpiles, instead of lying around in my starter forge (though they put on everything else from the forge. Dunno.) Also going to try listing gauntlets twice. I don't want to try to mess around with removing them from military and reassigning them, because they're already loosing happiness from being 'relieved from duty,' due to my attempts to figure out their uniforms.

Does anyone know of good workarounds for the equipment bugs like these for 40.xx?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:51:42 am by Gigmaster »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to guess that the issues are the same ones from 0.34.  The workaround is to produce lots of armor, and then set the military squads to replace clothing instead of wearing armor over clothing.  That solves almost every armor-related problem.  The drawback is you need to actually have the armor for them to wear... otherwise, they'll be partially nude.

They both have assigned uniforms of a helm, mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, low boots (civ doesn't have high boots), gauntles, and x2 high boots. Even though it says 'high boots,' I remember that previously, if you didn't enter it in twice, they only wore one.

That might be part of your problem, then.  You should not specify two pairs of boots.  Or apparently three pairs of boots, in your case (1 low and 2 high).  Just specify the one pair of low boots, and nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:47:25 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40.05] Convincing military to wear both gauntlets/boots/other armor.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:48:03 am »

That might be part of your problem, then.  You should not specify two pairs of boots.  Or apparently three pairs of boots, in your case (1 low and 2 high).  Just specify the one pair of low boots, and nothing else.
I've done it with one pair of low/high boots assigned before... and when I do, they almost never equip both of the bloody things. They invariably equip only one boot, run out into combat, them some bloody ass-clown goes 'wow, maybe I should hit the exposed fluffy sock.' Queue foot sailing off in an arc, falling over in pain, then taking 100 shots to the head before expiring from blood loss. I've lost champions this way.

The workaround is to produce lots of armor, and then set the military squads to replace clothing instead of wearing armor over clothing.
I do have them set to replace clothing, instead of 'wear over clothing.' I initially had it set to 'wear over,' but hastily changed my mind after changing them to active status. Too late, alas - they had already equipped their one and only boot.

I did pump out all the armor they would need at the beginning... I had the smith I embarked with make two full suits, plus a few extras.

Thanks for the input though... what I really need, maybe, is a way to 'reset' them, so that they remove all their armor, re-clothe themselves, then throw on the correct armor. Of course, this would likely result in more unhappy thoughts because of 'being removed from duty,' but that's arguably better than having one-legging crossbowmen running around.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean with the boots XD. They only have two low boot entries; no high boots involved. My civ can't actually make them. Corrected that in the OP.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:52:10 am by Gigmaster »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:21:08 pm »

I've definitely seen erratic boot- and gauntlet-wearing behavior in past versions, but I'm talking about early DF2012, or possibly DF2010, here.

In both 0.34.11 and 0.40.x I've had full success doing the following:
  • Create uniform.  Do not have any duplicate entries in the uniform.  Leave the uniform itself set to "over clothing".
  • Create squad.  Assign the uniform to the squad (Shift+Enter).
  • Put dwarfs in squad.  Set the squad to Active/Training.  Create barracks.  Assign the squad to train in the barracks.
  • Create armor.  As pieces of armor are created, members of the squad will periodically assign some of it to themselves.  Monitor this by occasionally viewing m e (military equipment screen) for green checkmarks.
  • When a given squad position has a full set of green checkmarks, as seen on the military equipment screen, press r to set that position to "replace clothing".
  • Repeat until all occupied squad positions have full checkmarks and are replacing clothing.
  • If necessary, issue a Station order for a given squad to force each squad member to finish equipment picking-up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:22:45 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

That's the funny thing - they have green checkmarks for all equipment, but are not wearing all of it. I'll try that exact procedure on new recruits... wonder if part of the problem is that they don't technically have a barracks assigned to them yet. Didn't think it really affected their equipment behavior, as far as just throwing it on, but I could be mistaken. If it persists after I put everything in stockpiles and make barracks for them, I'll take screenies or write out all my uniform/military settings once I get home from work and have some time to play around.

Really don't want to loose my early experienced guys... I'm a neighbor of 5 different towers XD

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 03:59:14 am »

If you have problems just don't give them socks, have only high boots in the foot category, and set to replace clothing. That should be as fool proof as it's going to get and the dwarves will be perfectly happy and well-protected.

In this version (.40.05) there is a bug where a dwarf gets stuck trying to pick up a piece of equipment, I believe I've only had it with weapons, the dwarf just stands around like an idiot frozen on the spot and his job is "pickup equipment", forbidding the item can un-stick him. I don't know if that bug causes problems with non-weapon equipment, but certainly in this version equipping is buggier than usual.

Of course, this would likely result in more unhappy thoughts because of 'being removed from duty,' but that's arguably better than having one-legging crossbowmen running around.

On this point it's expedient to give all your military dwarves civilian skills. Pump operating is very quick to train, even quicker is bookkeeper set to maximum precision (that only works for one dwarf at a time though). I pretty much always do this because it lets you deactivate as much as you like without unhappy thoughts.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 01:35:44 pm »

Huh! I never knew that about unhappy thoughts for the military. I regularly set-up a 'pump gym' setup for my military dwarves who aren't training, so I guess I've never noticed before. Decided to start the embark with two competent no-civ-skill-at-all-though dwarves, thanks to the couple of horror stories I saw about early sieges, and the added decrease in happiness does show.

Quote from: Panando
If you have problems just don't give them socks, have only high boots in the foot category, and set to replace clothing.

Precisely how I have it set up, unfortunately :(. Good thought though. Didn't notice them getting stuff in an item pickup loop either. Currently they're stripped naked except for the pieces of their uniform they decided to put on.

Didn't get much of a chance to play over the weekend, sadly. Still need to do some testing.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:42:36 pm »

Ah, I was just poling around the bugtracker, and I came across the reason for the weird highboot issue:

For some strange reason the code assigns the amount of a listed item in a body catagory by the order-number it appears in the list.

So, if you assign a sock and a boot(in this order) to a uniform, the game will assign one sock and two boots to the dwarf.

Here's the report, Ag explains it at the end: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=535
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »

Quote from: therahedwig
So, if you assign a sock and a boot(in this order) to a uniform, the game will assign one sock and two boots to the dwarf.

Funny - I noticed the opposite. This is more similar to what is happening here: What is it with only wearing one high boot??!?, here: Dwarves only wearing one boot?, and here: High Boots. Difference here is, I forced them to NOT wear any socks or mittens, assigned two boots, and they're still doing it. Here's what I noticed before in 34.11:

-Assigned socks (1 entry) and boots (1 entry). Noted that the socks entry got placed after the boot entry. In (v)iew inventory, noted that they wore two socks, but only one boot.
-Re-did equipment so that socks were BEFORE boots. Noted no change.
-Re-did equipment so that TWO socks entries preceeded TWO boots entries. Almost all of my soldiers equipped the right series of equipment.

Unfortunately this is not working this time around... maybe they NEED socks double entered? Maybe one boot on bare feet can be withstood, but two is asking too much?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:45:03 pm by Gigmaster »

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »

I used a simple uniform: helmet, mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, boots, gauntlets. This works, they wear two boots.

Then I added cloth socks, cloak, and hood. They started wearing one boot. I took out the socks and now they are wearing two boots again.

I think it's better to make lots of boots, remembering that you need 2 per soldier. So if you have 10 soldiers, when you look on the stocks screen there will need to be at least 20 boots there.

Then don't use socks at all. You can make socks for the civilians, but don't order soldiers to wear them. Soldiers don't need socks, and it breaks them wearing boots. And the socks will wear out which means then you need to replace them to stop the soldiers getting unhappy about the old socks.

Socks don't protect them, they don't help with anything, they break the wearing of boots, they are too much hassle, don't give them any socks.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »

Quote from: dexxy
I used a simple uniform: helmet, mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, boots, gauntlets. This works, they wear two boots.

I did the same thing at start here; they didn't wear both boots. Maybe there's something going on with variance between dwarves in size that effects how they equip stuff? Might also be something with 'pre-existing' equipment set ups; as I mentioned, I initially had them do 'over clothing,' wondering if some of the military equipment issues got fixed. After that proved not to be the case, I changed them to 'replace clothing,' with only metal bits, and while they've since added to their uniform as I've assigned them more stuff, they still haven't changed their boots. Interesting to note though, that they DID remove their socks. (??)

Quote from: dexxy
I think it's better to make lots of boots [...]

Then don't use socks at all. You can make socks for the civilians, but don't order soldiers to wear them. Soldiers don't need socks, and it breaks them wearing boots. [...]

I currently have 4 pairs of low boots for 2 dwarves. Can't imagine how 16 more pairs would help...

I'm not using socks at all right now, but the issue persists. And that isn't quite true; every layer helps, mostly against blunt weapons. A soldier clad in steel alone has a poorer chance of turning a bone fracture into a bruise if he doesn't have socks, mittens, hoods, cloaks, trousers, ect ect. I think some research was done, which proved that leather clothing materials were superior to cloth in terms of mitigating blunt damage, but socks still have their place. And I was able to get it to work previously by assigning <sock, sock, boot, boot>. I'm just not sure of what's changed this time.