Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Size Descriptors  (Read 667 times)

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Size Descriptors
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:49 am »

What is bigger:
Gigantic or enormous?

I need to know which sheep to kill.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Size Descriptors
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:00:00 pm »

Etymologically, "enormous", coming from Latin "ex" = outside of, and "norma" = rule / standard, seems to be less big than gigantic, comprised of greek "gigas" = giant / gigant and germanic "-tich" = resembling -.

It seems to hold true ingame as well.

Also it seems to make sense to breed sheep, and other docile animals for fat and long hairs, and dogs, and other animals you plan on using for combat, for muscles.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:01:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:36:52 pm »

Thanks.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:43:57 am »

Also it seems to make sense to breed sheep, and other docile animals for fat and long hairs, and dogs, and other animals you plan on using for combat, for muscles.

Do genetics really work that way in DF? Can..can you confirm?  I'm currently hoarding lions for a Colosseum...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:08:38 am »

Do genetics really work that way in DF? Can..can you confirm?  I'm currently hoarding lions for a Colosseum...
It does.
Breeding in DF determines a mommy and a daddy, and then uses the natural stats to make up the natural stats of the child(ren).

But, do mind that the descriptors also describe age. So a young lion will not show it's full potential size as descriptor, because it just hasn't grown large enough yet.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!