Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: .40 military training research  (Read 3528 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: .40 military training research
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 11:53:08 am »

On a fortress in 40.05 , i assembled a group of 10 dwarves, that i wanted as Marksdwarves and so set the squad as "archer".
The best marskdwarf was a competent one, i set him as the leader, half of the squad didn't had any marksdwarf skill.

I then setup a barrack and absolutely no archery target, no danger room, only simple basic barrack training.
schedule was set to 6 on 10 dwarves each months in that barrack.

What i observed from this basic setup after +/- a year of only training :
- the best marksdwarf became Talented in the skill
- every dwarves, even the unskilled ones, had several levels of marksdwarf skill, i noticed one set to Skilled while he started with nothing.
- every marksdwarves still had a very low archer skill, seems this skill can't really be trained with the basic setup

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »

There is/was a bug where sparring showed up as combat reports, but it was still happening.  I believe .05 fixed that.

Other than the bug I mention above, training doesn't appear to have changed at all from 0.34.11.  Set up a squad of 10, with five orders for "train, 2 minimum" and set the active squad a training area, and in six months to a year they will all be of roughly equal skills due to demonstrations and the sparring with begin in earnest.  This has worked for everyone one of my 0.40 fortresses so far (i've started a new one each version).

edit: Just as a followup, my four militia dwarves just started sparring in late winter.  I formed the squad just after the first caravan left.  All four are novice speardwarves, with one at ~750 xp, and the other three at about 1030 (1100 xp for the next level).  I think you just need to give it a bit more time, or set up a better training regimen for your militia.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:52:31 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 03:57:03 pm »

one big change is that archery practice is incorporated into active/training marksdwarves, meaning they will train at archery targets while they're active.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 05:26:36 pm »

As it is, I'm sort of wondering how Discipline skill is trained. Because it seems pretty critical. It SEEMS like military training ought to raise it, but I'm not sure that's the case.
Discipline is trained by individual combat drills. Probably also some other things, but individual combat drills is effective.
Dump dwarven corpses into the barracks. Being horrified seems to train Discipline really quickly.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »

one big change is that archery practice is incorporated into active/training marksdwarves, meaning they will train at archery targets while they're active.

Well crap, this means I have to swap some things.

I use archery ranges as sniper nests.

I put the archery targets in the opposite direction of where I wanted the dwarves to attack, then carved fortifications in the walls behind where the dwarves would stand.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 04:52:36 am »

Here's something new:

Installing a wooden floor in my barracks has magically stopped them from throwing each other during sparring. I have no explanation for this.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 05:15:24 am »

Damage from colliding with a surface is determined by the density of that surface. Maybe they're still throwing each other, but the damage is now too low to notice? 
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 06:49:47 am »

As it is, I'm sort of wondering how Discipline skill is trained. Because it seems pretty critical. It SEEMS like military training ought to raise it, but I'm not sure that's the case.
Discipline is trained by individual combat drills. Probably also some other things, but individual combat drills is effective.
Dump dwarven corpses into the barracks. Being horrified seems to train Discipline really quickly.

Any sentient corpse should do it, doesn't have to just be Dwarves. And I don't think it needs to even be the entire body.
Pages: 1 [2]