Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changelog for the Fortress mode  (Read 1195 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changelog for the Fortress mode
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:22:56 pm »

Hi all!

As far as I know, the new version is all about Adventure mode, but what about Fortress mode? What features were added with the new version except multi-tile tress and leaves (which I can't use atm anyway)?

Thanks in advance.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: Changelog for the Fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »

A lot of the changes apply to both Adventure and Fortress mode.  Combat and movement overhauls are a big change, that applies to both.  Active banditry is another, which is why you might have an early siege.

There's also a dwarven personality rewrite, which ties into a forthcoming job priority revision.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:28:53 pm »

Thanks for the answer!

Combat and movement overhauls are a big change, that applies to both

Where can I read a bit more about it?

Active banditry is another, which is why you might have an early siege.

What is it?

There's also a dwarven personality rewrite, which ties into a forthcoming job priority revision.

Where can I read a bit more about it?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:50:42 pm »

You could look through the dev notes on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ or look through last version's Future of the Fortress thread. There might also be some stuff on the wiki, but I haven't really poked around there much, aside from the modding pages.

Movement speed and attack speed have been split into two. Before, they were tied together, so the slower you were, the slower you would attack. But now even if you are very slow, you can still attack based on the speed defined within the game files. Most attacks are the same speed though. Multi-attacking is now in as well, so you can make several attacks at once. Though some attacks are good for multi-attacking, and some are bad, while most are neutral. I don't know of any creatures other than the hydra that have good multi-attacks though, and kicking is usually flagged as bad.

There are also new movement states. Before, everything moved at a more or less constant state. Though swim speed and land speed were different, and they would be slowed by things such as crawling on the ground or sneaking. Now there are several movement states, with the default being walking. Units can go slower or faster than walking speed, and can even go into a full-on sprint. This is useful when dwarves are trying to run away from enemies.

There are also different speeds for different types of movement. Off the top of my head, there are different gaits for walking normally, crawling on the ground, swimming, climbing, and flying.

Sneaking has also changed. Before it would slow you down and you could only attempt to sneak when there were no hostiles within sight. Now whether you get slowed by sneaking depends on what type of movement state you are in, and you can attempt to sneak anywhere. Though that won't help much if your enemy can already see you.

There is also the new ability to climb, which can help stuck dwarves and makes fortress defence a bit harder.

Bandits can now attack your fortress, if they are nearby. Before they were an adventure mode only type of thing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:53:04 pm by BlackFlyme »

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 05:14:10 pm »

Thanks a lot!

And what about dwarven personality?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »

More flavour about the dwarf's thoughts, and how their personal values are compared to their civilization's. It affects stuff like how they are affected by negative thoughts, which type of insanity that they would be prone to, how well they get along with others, and things like that. That's how their personality worked in previous versions, anyways.

Another new thing would be their life-long goal. Some will want to make a masterwork item, while others want to start a family, and there are several other potential goals that a dwarf may want to accomplish. I'm not sure what that achievement does for a dwarf though.

The goals are also usable as goals for secret interactions, like necromancy. Though they aren't functional for that yet, aside from the original goal of immortality.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »

Thanks a lot!

That's all? Is there smth else that is new for the Fortress mode?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »

A change to the way sieges happen. The invaders are no longer made on the spot just to attack you. They now properly come from the enemy civilization's population. Same for merchants and diplomats.

Non-dwarven diplomats can show up again. The elven one can, at least. I haven't had one yet, so I'm not sure if the tree-cutting quota has been changed or not.

Trees are much different, obviously. Wood shortage isn't as much of an issue anymore, unless you are in a biome with few trees.

You can now retire forts instead of only being able to abandon them, and you can attempt to reclaim ruins of forts destroyed in world-gen.

Countless new plants, and the new plant growths. Being able to harvest tree growths will be in eventually, but it is not possible at the moment. Tree growths can be purchased from caravans though.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 11:26:08 pm »

I think the dwarven personality system is not even implemented fully yet. Toady admitted to releasing it half-baked and the old system is still there. Probably won't see that completed until optimizations are underway.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:45 am »

Theres been a massive amount of bugfixes lately too.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.