Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What, exactly, does LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND do?  (Read 1065 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What, exactly, does LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND do?
« on: August 02, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »

I'm confused about how the advanced world generation settings for Z Levels (Depth) Settings work, particularly the 'above ground' one. If I set 'above ground' to a high number, does that leave 'less space' for Z-levels of ground below the surface? If I want a lot of rock under my feet, should I set 'above ground' to a small number?
()==[:::::::::::::>

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Re: What, exactly, does LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND do?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »

Sets how many z-levels of open space there are above the highest ground on your map, the whole local map area (what you'd get with a max embark size), not just your smaller x by y embark site.

This setting has no bearing on ground layers at all.

Edit:

If you want a lot of ground between you and the first cavern layers, then set the value at Z_Levels_Above_Layer1 to a larger number.

These settings control how the cavern layers are spaced throughout your map.  So layer1 means how many layers of ground there are between the topmost cavern tile and open ground.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:05:57 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 04:42:41 pm »

Handy if, for example...

...you want to build towers.

...you want to build a sky city.

//Torrenal
...you want to train your dwarves in flying by throwing them at the ground really fast and seeing if they miss.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:22:00 am »

If you want a lot of ground between you and the first cavern layers, then set the value at Z_Levels_Above_Layer1 to a larger number.

These settings control how the cavern layers are spaced throughout your map.  So layer1 means how many layers of ground there are between the topmost cavern tile and open ground.

It doesn't change the total number of layers between open ground and the BOTTOM layer, though, right?

Handy if, for example...

...you want to build towers.

...you want to build a sky city.

//Torrenal
...you want to train your dwarves in flying by throwing them at the ground really fast and seeing if they miss.

Can critters fly or walk over walls that go up to the top of the sky? Or do they 'bump their heads on the ceiling'?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:24:39 am by ptb_ptb »

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:40:43 am »

Increasing any layer's size but Above Ground will result in an increased amount of levels between the surface level and the bottom level. This isn't a zero sum allocation thing. The game is asking you independently how thick each layer should be and then stacking them. Only if you decide to limit the number of layers for FPS reasons will the thickness of any layer be relevant to any other layer.

For creatures to fly or walk over walls there must be a space above the wall to move through. So yes, they bump their heads on the ceiling.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:43:23 am »

This isn't a zero sum allocation thing.
Oh, cool. That's just the sort of thing I needed clearing up. :)

For creatures to fly or walk over walls there must be a space above the wall to move through. So yes, they bump their heads on the ceiling.
Also cool. I may (but probably won't) take advantage of that at some point.