Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dogs not breeding?  (Read 1075 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
dogs not breeding?
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:21:04 am »

Started a new fort, I recall getting puppies in my last one, but this one is a fresh 40.05 fort..

I have multiple male and female (2 of 1, 1 of the other I think 2 males)

and it's been 2-3 years now, and not a single puppy has turned up

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dogs not breeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 06:26:53 am »

Seen this a couple of times in this latest version. 

I embark with 4 sheep, 2 goats and 4 dogs.  Sometimes all breed, sometimes only 1 or 2 of the species will breed.  In one fort none of the 3 animals bred.  With a fort that had non-breeding dogs I slaughtered both (embarked with them) then replaced them from the caravan and they started breeding.  Migrants pets, wild captures and traded pets all seem to behave themselves, I'm noticing this mostly with 'embarked-with' animals.  Doesnt seem much you can do except slaughter the defective animals and replace them.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:21 am »

Seen this a couple of times in this latest version. 

I embark with 4 sheep, 2 goats and 4 dogs.  Sometimes all breed, sometimes only 1 or 2 of the species will breed.  In one fort none of the 3 animals bred.  With a fort that had non-breeding dogs I slaughtered both (embarked with them) then replaced them from the caravan and they started breeding.  Migrants pets, wild captures and traded pets all seem to behave themselves, I'm noticing this mostly with 'embarked-with' animals.  Doesnt seem much you can do except slaughter the defective animals and replace them.

Something seems up with the chickens as well..
I had a hen give birth to like 20 chicks..it's been well over a year.. but all are still chicks. I'll keep an eye on them but they seem to be taking way too long to mature
one of the dogs I have is a traded one, might be an extra male

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:03:30 am »

Chickens seem to be growing, but even after picking up 4 or 5 dogs from caravans (both sexes) nothin..no puppies at all

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:00 am »

and the dwarves aren't breeding either..it seems the only ones producing offspring are the chickens.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:38:23 am »

and the dwarves aren't breeding either..it seems the only ones producing offspring are the chickens.

Ive had puppies like mad, fed the fort off then even as I forgot about them.

As to Dwarves breeding, there's a new pop limit cap that if you're using a tileset doesn't have it listed so dwarves won't breed or migrate, but if you think that everything is fine.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:29:04 am »

Ive had puppies like mad, fed the fort off then even as I forgot about them.

As to Dwarves breeding, there's a new pop limit cap that if you're using a tileset doesn't have it listed so dwarves won't breed or migrate, but if you think that everything is fine.
I've only got 36 dwarves, nowhere near the cap.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 12:21:18 pm »

No issues with dogs or cats breeding.  I embark with 2 females and 1 male dog, and one each for cats.  After the first caravan the puppies and kittens start showing up just like normal.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:31:27 pm »

I'd had plenty of puppies in my last 40.05 fort
Plenty of bugbat litters too....

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »

I'd had plenty of puppies in my last 40.05 fort
Plenty of bugbat litters too....
Heh, yeah, I saw that in my previous fort as well.  Just got my first kittens in my current fort on 14 Limestone with a 15 Granite embark.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"