Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: #Warning Spoilers?#  (Read 1269 times)

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
#Warning Spoilers?#
« on: August 03, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

Oh, look at what I've stumbled upon.
Spoiler: Manger Screen (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:52:45 pm by wooks »
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
Re: #Warning Spoilers?#
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »

The existence of something the game indicates to you from a manager screen or forge shouldn't be a spoiler.

These are procedurally generated metals new to 40.0x. They are mostly an adventurer mode thing.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:04:18 pm by LarsGerhard »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:04:17 pm »

Yeah, that's a thing. The adjective metals are intended to be extra tiers between steel and adamantine. It's not really a bug, because those screens will display candy and slade and the like anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:05:38 pm »

Though note that they are not strictly inferior to adamantine.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:54:32 pm »

How do you figure out what is better at what then? Lots of absurd tests in fortress mode?
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »

Memory hacking. If you can find the raws of the metal you should be able to reference with adamantine/steel and see where the numbers fall.
I'm afraid I don't know too much about this kind of thing myself, but someone down in the modding boards should be able to help you.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:23 pm »

It's also, you know, on the wiki.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you want to test this stuff, that's what the object testing arena is for.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:44:22 pm »

I was under the impression that the properties of the metal were also psuedo-random?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »

Memory hacking. If you can find the raws of the metal you should be able to reference with adamantine/steel and see where the numbers fall.
I'm afraid I don't know too much about this kind of thing myself, but someone down in the modding boards should be able to help you.
Just set the game to not compress the save files and then (IIRC) open up World.dat in a text editor and look through it for them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 05:51:30 pm »

I was under the impression that the properties of the metal were also psuedo-random?

They all appear to be functionally identical.  The only differences I could find were the names and the spheres, which associate the metal to a deity.