Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dimensions of Dawn (Succession Game)  (Read 1339 times)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
The Dimensions of Dawn (Succession Game)
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:07 pm »

I have long been interested in joining a Dwarven Succession Game, but I'm too impatient to join the long queues those already existing. So, I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting one with me. The normal bloodline rules would apply, save for one difference: Instead of having me choose what to embark with, I would rather give each of the seven starter players a share of the embark points and allow them to select their skills and items.

I have my world selected, I just need to know if anyone is actually interested before I write the intro.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: The Dimensions of Dawn (Succession Game)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:40:05 am »

I have long been interested in joining a Dwarven Succession Game, but I'm too impatient to join the long queues those already existing. So, I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting one with me. The normal bloodline rules would apply, save for one difference: Instead of having me choose what to embark with, I would rather give each of the seven starter players a share of the embark points and allow them to select their skills and items.

I have my world selected, I just need to know if anyone is actually interested before I write the intro.

I'll tell you what.  I was just looking at creating a Succession Game myself, and obviously I need at least one other person to get it started.

I've been haunting these forums for quite a while now, and judging by the way you attempted to start your succession game (very little detail given), I'm guessing I'm probably also a bit more familiar with Dwarf Fortress and the player community than you are from years of experience... (that's not to say I'm GOOD, or better, in fact I might well not be- just experienced)

How about if you team up with me to co-host a succession game game?

(I've already started a thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142121.0)

I'll try to work with you as an equal to run the thread/game once it's going (although I'll be taking some initiative with worldgen right away), and will also give you the second turn (2 year turns for all players- I find 1 year too short, and I'll start the game right away without waiting for a long list of players) and the choice of whatever Dwarf you want for your character, if you want one.

Only 2 utilities I'll be running, but I don't think either actually change the raws at all (maybe possibly Ironhand- which I strongly advise using anyway so you can understand the aesthetic I was aiming for in my turn's designs), so you should be free to not use them at all if you want:

Ironhand Graphics Set (release 40.07Afor DF 40.07)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8747

SoundSense r43 (with "Official" Soundpack)
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Let me know if you're interested (PM me) ASAP- I want to get this Succession Game going right away, before I lose the nerve.

In the meantime, I'll be running a worldgen (or two or three- until I get something I like) and checking out possible embark sites- maybe even creating additional sites in the world (which would be retired when the Succession Game begins, and to get a feel for any new bugs that may have been introduced in 40.07, as well as add a little more history to the world for artwork and such...)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:33:46 am by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: The Dimensions of Dawn (Succession Game)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:56:51 am »

More details:

So I ran a world-gen, and got a Golden Age straight off the bat.

That's something I've never seen before, so I figured ehhh, let's go with it.  An "easy" world (if Dwarf Fortress ever has such a thing) for a succession game.

Let me know what kind of biome you'd be interested in starting the fort in if you decide to team up with me in my effort to start a succession game instead of creating a separate thread (I'll give your opinion extra weight, and those of any other players who enter in before the fort starts a bit less weight, since you were originally going to start your own succession game)

The name of the world is "Sil Lathon: The Planes of Myth", by the way.

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!