Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 34.11: Children sliding through Vertical Bars like lubed eels. Recommendations?  (Read 431 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

Alright, so, I built myself a bathtub.  It's a nice bathtub.  It's got water.  It's got pressure plates and doors and floodgates and... vertical iron bars.  These, in theory, are supposed to keep things from going THROUGH them.

They don't.  Someone has lubed up my dwarves with motor oil and they slide right through like plastic man on a bender when he can't keep himself solid.

The purpose of said bathtub is remove large volumes of contaminates from my dwarves and the crap they're hauling.  To my knowledge, said contaminates won't flow through a dual fortification setup (the only method I know to keep swimmers from swimming).  Will dual Verticals work, or is there another technique that y'all might recommend?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only thing which reliably filters out dwarves from liquids is grates/floor bars, this is because water is incapable of pushing dwarves between z-levels, so (oddly enough) downstairs will also work fine provided the dwarves aren't falling, if they are or might be falling then grates will stop them.
Things being pushed by water ignore some normal movement restrictions, which is why they can get pushed through vertical bars and stuff (presumably it's a bug, but it's how it is).
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always thought water could push creatures through fortifications but NOT through wall-grates/bars.
That's why you would secure your water supply tube with a setup of Fortification|Grate|empty space|Fortification (flow direction from right).
If dry a building destroyer can't reach the Grate so he won't destroy it. If conducting water the worst that could happen is that a building destroyer is pushed adjacent to the Grate and now is too close to destroy it.

If that isn't true it would mean it's harder to construct a passive water supply as you would need a floor grate that can't be pathed to. This would require using either a pressurized setup or a pump that needs powering.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

I always thought water could push creatures through fortifications but NOT through wall-grates/bars.
Water doesn't need to push creatures through fortifications - if it's filled to 7/7 depth, they can swim freely through them. Vertical bars (and wall grates) will not allow free movement, though, as you've noticed, flowing water can still push them through.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.