Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chaos in the fort  (Read 3001 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos in the fort
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:59:14 am »

It might not be a bad idea to pave the barracks floor with some lightweight wood to soften the landings, but I haven't bothered.
The material used in a Construction doesn't make any difference.  Adamantine, Featherwood, and Slade are all treated exactly the same when used for floors, walls, ramps, stairs, and fortifications.

Are you certain? I've seen numerous mentions of soft materials reducing damage from falls.

And you are both right....ish.  GirlinHat more-so, but thats fairly normal.  Constructions don't behave themselves and have their own rules, which is why wooden walls ignore dragonfire.  They dont retain material properties beyond appearance/value and are not really buildings in a code-sense.  Landing on a super light-weight floor *does* seem to cushion fall damage, you did read that somewhere and from the limited testing i've managed this last week it works...just not with 'C'onstructions for reasons mentioned.  Try building a paved road b-o (which I use extensively as b-C-f replacements) from featherwood and then dropping onto it.  Im still not sure how much effect its having, been too long since I routinely dropped many critters and need to test more.  (As a rule the paved road is an awesome build, it prevents sapling growth, looks like a Constructed floor, will go over a Constructed floor, uses half the mats and compresses dozens of jobs into a single arch/build pair)

All that said I dont think it will help on a barracks floor to prevent wrestling throw damage, I would imagine the mechanics are seperate and that being thrown does not count as a 'fall' given that the victim does not move on z-levels.

On the OP:  A perfect game of DwarfFortress, sounds like a laugh a minute.  Next time try to watch the drink stock like a hawk, dry forts are unhappy forts.  Most of your reactions seem sound, its just not easy to recover from since dwarves dont cooperate with you as a rule :p  Dont ever sally to meet goblins unless your guys are all geared up properly.  Even if you cover them in iron a dabbler/novice fighter is fodder vs a decent goblin.  You only need 1 or 2 decent fighters for a little rush like that, just drag and funnel the hostiles across some cages/discs and have your dwarves sweep the wounded once their rush stalls.  Also marksdwarves ftw vs early attackers which generally wont include a decent sniper.  Your layout is key here, you need to funnel the attackers, meeting them on a wide-front will need at least 1 trained and geared melee dwarf per hostile
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:16:26 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 07:08:46 am »

1 farmer only? Yeah, you brought this onto yourself.
._.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 08:02:18 am »

I definitely did... but recovered with the next caravan fortunately
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 08:41:32 pm »

I only ever bring a single farmer on embarks. He is also the brewer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:48 pm »

You combine farmer and brewer? I generally have them separate, but the brewer also cooks.

Do you then put any in the first migrant wave towards brewing or farming?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:11 pm »

You combine farmer and brewer? I generally have them separate, but the brewer also cooks.

Do you then put any in the first migrant wave towards brewing or farming?

Oh yes, the first migrant wave is always my farming wave, unless I happen to get something awesome like a professional weaponsmith or the like. Honestly, I only use cook for rendering fat. All industry is either stone or metal as a general rule in my forts.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »

Oh yes, the first migrant wave is always my farming wave, unless I happen to get something awesome like a professional weaponsmith or the like. Honestly, I only use cook for rendering fat. All industry is either stone or metal as a general rule in my forts.

Makes sense. I tend to always get stupid things like Great Spinners...
Pages: 1 [2]