Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves falling down stairs  (Read 3011 times)

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves falling down stairs
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

Like many others, I tend to design my fortresses around large, central staircases. However, as of late I've begun noticing strange spatters of blood in areas with no combatants and combat reports consisting entirely of "dwarf takes the full force of the impact through their shirt." Are my dwarves tripping down the stairs?

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves falling down stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »

Also:
  • Have any of you guys experienced this
  • Is this related to the clumsiness trait
  • Can I train it out

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:54:12 pm »

Are you using burrows? Someone reported their children became quite clumsy when assigned to a burrow. In my own experience, assigning cats to a pasture ringing my central stair has caused them to occasionally fall down the stairwell. I suspect some aspect of the new momentum mechanics has problems with crossing a boundary.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:12 am »

... Are my dwarves tripping down the stairs?

Yes, with sufficient emphasis on the verb in question.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:32:33 am »

Could it be related to climbing in any way?

Spoiler: Also... (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:21:21 am »

Yes, dwarves can fall down a staircase.  Any creature that goes unconscious (or i think also webbed) on a stair tile will 'fall'.

Note that the game calculates falling down a stair by acting as if the entire staircase didnt exist.  I also often have a large centre stair leading all the way to the surface, I have seen dwarves pass out from exhaustion battling goblins in the courtyard only to fall 65 z-levels (makes a big splash).  I also once lost an entire squad of axe lords when they got hit by a knockout syndrome-cloud and all fell asleep on a stair, bodies landed on the forge deck
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:24:17 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:41:05 am »

Hatches are your friend.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:43:14 am »

Yes, dwarves can fall down a staircase.  Any creature that goes unconscious (or i think also webbed) on a stair tile will 'fall'.

I really don't think that's the case in the new version. With the advent of sleepwalking dwarves, they would all automatically end up at the bottom of the stairwell if merely being unconscious caused them to fall.

However, once a creature is marked as "falling" stair tiles do nothing to stop the descent. Adding hatch covers every few levels is a good preventative measure.