Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommended settings? (init.txt, etc.)  (Read 1299 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recommended settings? (init.txt, etc.)
« on: August 01, 2014, 05:45:43 am »

It has been a long, very long, time since I last played Dwarf Fortress. Now I'm back and trying 0.40.05.

My computer is Windows 7, normal display resolution 1920 x 1080. I want to play Vanilla (possibly with minor tweaks) and using Dwarf Therapist. I'm open minded as to whether to use pure ascii or a tileset.

Are there any recommended setting changes you can make? Any must have mods?

I tried phoebus tileset, but the interface text and Adventure mode looks quite odd.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Mardukker

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with tetrahedric spikes of steel
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended settings? (init.txt, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:45:55 am »

Get PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, it will have everything you need. Aside from Therapist, I recommend Soundsense, it greatly improves immersion IMO. Also, the pack comes with CLA's tileset, which is a (way) prettier form of ASCII.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:53:37 am »

Get PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, it will have everything you need. Aside from Therapist, I recommend Soundsense, it greatly improves immersion IMO. Also, the pack comes with CLA's tileset, which is a (way) prettier form of ASCII.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see how it looks.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:24:02 am »

The Starter Pack has a few tilesets to try out, but the weird text and Adventure mode display will be a problem with every graphical tileset until DFHack has been updated.

The only setting that I'd recommend is opening /data/init/d_init.txt and setting an autosave interval (say, AUTOSAVE:YEARLY). It can save you a lot of grief, especially since the new version isn't quite as stable as the older ones.
Otherwise, the default options are fine. Have fun!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:53:40 am »

You can also try to turn on truetype support, but that is unfortunatly limited to the menus. (So descriptions don't get true-type)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:18 am »

I change my keybindings slightly so I'm not searching for the - + or umkh keys constantly.
I make Control +direction for speed cursor scrolling, then set shift up and down to secondary selector (moves up or down the construction menu), I also set shift up and down and shift left - right to increase or decrease building size. These make building walls, farm plots, anything really much easier..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »

Personally, I'd recommend going into d_init and setting [VARIED_GROUND_TILES:YES] to [VARIED_GROUND_TILES:NO]. Much simpler and easier to read for ASCii when all ground tiles are uniform dots.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:40 am »

What about stuff like PRINT_MODE? Whats the best settings for that section for performance?