Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Howto: prevent clothing wearing out  (Read 1416 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Howto: prevent clothing wearing out
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:39:59 pm »

If for some reason you dislike your dwarves' clothing wearing out, and needing replacement, this might be your way out:
Clothing that normally would wear out, will not wear when set as a military uniform (do not forget to set them to replace civilian clothing).

Just draft all your civilians into a big squad, do NOT assign them a barracks, and start assigning clothing. You can dress them up with as much detail as you like. Note however, that if you set a material that is not available, they will take a clothing item of another material. I.e. if you tell them to wear giant cave spider silk cloaks, but you do not have any, they will just grab leather cloaks instead, if you do have those.

The only clothing you will need to replace when using this method are those of hunters, miners, woodcutters, nobles that cannot be put in a squad, and children, until they grow up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:41:54 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Howto: prevent clothing wearing out
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:34 pm »

Crap. It seems I was wrong. Two years further ingame, some of my military's cloaks now show some very first xsignsx of wear. It does seem to wear out much slower than my civilian dwarves' clothing though. Seems more research is required.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »

Use leather or metal armor. Putting all your dwarves in squads to circumvent the clothing wearout has been a thing for a while. You need to use actual armor though. Leather high boots, leather armor and leather leggings are all armor items and do not degrade. Metal armor likewise.
The downside is you can't use this trick on miners or woodcutters, as the pick/axe equipped messes up the equipment loadout. Still a lot less need for clothes than the entire fortress though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:29:05 pm »

The bug where jobs are wiped when a soldier gains a legendary level skill, so you can now do a whole fort militia without having to continually reset skills.

Your miners and woodcutters have to be exempt from this, but as far as everyone else goes, there's no reason not to give them a uniform to wear leather armor, wooden shields, crossbows.

Even if they're absolutely terrible shots if you have your entire fortress assemble at the front door they're going to hit something by sheer dumb luck.

This mass of crossbow militia won't wear out clothing because they're wearing leather armor and they have a much better chance of taking care of themselves in combat. You also have a quick reaction force you can send anywhere on need. Got a berserk dwarf? He's got leather armor and a crossbow...but so does everyone else in the room.

I wouldn't rely entirely on this militia method. You still want a front line of well trained and well equipped melee dwarves. These dwarves will close with the enemy in melee where they should absorb most of the incoming fire. Due to their heavy armor and very high skills they should be unharmed. The crossbow militia will join in and start clubbing any survivors to death once they have depleted their ammunition.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:48:32 pm »

AFAIK the required flag is ARMORLEVEL - items with that flag are safe from wear and cannot be chosen as civilian clothes. Leather _armour_ items (helms, boots, leggings...) have armourlevel one, leather _clothing_ (trousers, hoods, shoes...) has no armourlevels and is subject to wear.

Non-armour clothes that are set as military equipment wear out at the normal rate.

Incidentally, children also can't be drafted into squads, and in generation forts, they can make up over half of the population.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

Crap. It seems I was wrong. Two years further ingame, some of my military's cloaks now show some very first xsignsx of wear. It does seem to wear out much slower than my civilian dwarves' clothing though. Seems more research is required.
As clothing/armor degrades, soldiers will try to upgrade to less decayed options.  Most likely they were wearing fresh clothes every time theirs got scuffed up (after all, it'd be improper for a soldier to be wearing a uniform with rips in it, right?).  There's likely a huge pile of xclothesx somewhere that they've discarded, and now they're wearing damaged clothes because there's no replacements.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:55 am »

As clothing/armor degrades, soldiers will try to upgrade to less decayed options.  Most likely they were wearing fresh clothes every time theirs got scuffed up (after all, it'd be improper for a soldier to be wearing a uniform with rips in it, right?).  There's likely a huge pile of xclothesx somewhere that they've discarded, and now they're wearing damaged clothes because there's no replacements.

That was my first guess too, but after checking my stockpile of giant cave spider cloaks, there are no damaged ones swapped out, there's plenty of brand new one they could take (of the same quality). So that's not it.
It really seems to wear out less fast. Took 2 ingame years to go from undamaged to very first x of wear on those cloaks.
Maybe wear is dependent on movement? Like, military dwarves spend most of their time standing still in one place, doing individual combat drills, while other dwarves move about constantly?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »

It really seems to wear out less fast. Took 2 ingame years to go from undamaged to very first x of wear on those cloaks.

That's the normal rate of clothing wear.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz