Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants in Trees  (Read 2416 times)

Wilson07789

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Merchants in Trees
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »

I wonder why they decided to climb them

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:47:25 pm by Wilson07789 »
I'M SORRY WILSON!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants in Trees
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:15 pm »

They've been doing this for several versions... I really wish they would stop.

Also, when they get stuck in the depot for unknown reasons.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:17:37 am »

They're hoping to get a good vantage point for better deals? Scoping out a bargain?

Merchants have always been a little thick.

Urist McShaft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:17:48 am »

Had to create an account just to reply to this one.  Merchants seem a bit wonky lately.  They showed up and unloaded their goods, but I was unable to trade with them.  They kept saying they were still unloading until they just left.  Some time later, some migrants arrived and spotted a dead merchant and his camel in a tree, dehydrated.

Only one dwarfy way to get him out... So I chopped the tree down and claimed the goods, which I sorely needed.  Not sure if an earlier elf attack scared him, but somehow I doubt it.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:47:50 am »

Maybe they think money grows on trees?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:10:42 am »

Maybe they think money grows on trees?

I think they are doing research, trying to find out just exactly how does one go about harvesting fruit.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:38 am »

Merchant and his donkey sitting in a tree, S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »

Found this gem in the previous fotf reply:

Quote from: Toady One
Right now, if the dwarf can't find a place to wander around to (like the wagon or a meeting hall), it'll sometimes run the "acrobatic" routine to see if that gets it better results.  Theoretically that'll help stranded dwarves get themselves out of situations whether they are in trees or up on top of a pillar or in holes or whatever.  The acrobatic routine is expensive, so it isn't called in many other non-combat situations.  Climb checks can be failed, though I don't remember if any of the tree dwarves failed them (if they fell one tile they wouldn't have been injured most likely, so I wouldn't have seen it).  I haven't seen any super tragedies overall, but I'm sure people will find certain problems where dwarves do things that are not smart, and we can handle those as they arise during the bug fixing period, which should be reasonably entertaining to the extent that it isn't crashy.

NPCs only jump horizontally for CPU safety purposes, and I've tested that.  With a series of little pillars I made in the arena they were quite hoppy.

So there's your answer... sorta.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »

Hmm. So they'll jump out of holes, but won't climb down into them? That makes sense, I suppose.

YotaXP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »

Chop the tree.  They'll come down, one way or another.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 06:58:09 pm »

free trade goods!
I'm not sure if this is related but in 40.05 my merchants have been standing on the trade depot but don't count as arrived for some reason (broker cant initiate trade even for the still unpacking message)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:55 am »

free trade goods!
I'm not sure if this is related but in 40.05 my merchants have been standing on the trade depot but don't count as arrived for some reason (broker cant initiate trade even for the still unpacking message)

I think I know why this is. Some wagons are extremely over loaded and slow I've noticed. Sometimes they will take the whole trade season to get to the depot. Try to find any wagon stragglers in the units menu.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar