Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I dont know which metals are more valuable :(  (Read 1527 times)

Gromak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I dont know which metals are more valuable :(
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »

There are so many types of metals I dont have a clue of the value of them. I know the approximate values of copper, iron, steel, adamantine and some more but for 80% of the metals (bismuth bronze, etc) I dont know their value so in my fortress I end up with lots of different metals and I dunno which ones are the best for my soldiers. Is there any guide or so9mething tha tells you good uses for the metals( this one for weapons(like wolfram), this one for armor, etc) ? Im really really lost with all these metals in my fortress and not knowing which ones to use on my forges :(

Thanks a lot.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: I dont know which metals are more valuable :(
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:31:27 pm »

Can you answer me the question why you dont use the manual? Or the wiki?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:22:02 pm »

that wiki page is "missing" stuff like:

-dreadnaught from the warlocks. (well warlock manual sais "slightly stronger than steel", so that is fine as info for that)

-moonsilver from elves (pretty sure i saw a moonsilver weapon on a elf invader at some point... no idea if you can melt that though and forge other stuff from the bars then.)

-netherbark... the wiki lists it as "slightly better than wood + fire resistant" where the warlock material page lists it as "steel-grade, constantly cold leather".

just noticed moonsilver is in the manual under dwarf materials, so i guess the wiki just isnt up to date yet with v6 for the number crunchers that want to know all the detailed "max edge" etc values.
guess everyone else is fine first looking at the manual under "raw additions" (i.e. inorganics has some metals listed) and then the race specific material tabs and workshops.

for bismuth bronze (the alloys) it seems to be on the normal df wiki (the masterwork wiki links to this too somewhere for the missing metals):
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Metal#Alloys
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Ores_and_alloys_flowchart.png
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:29:17 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Gromak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 04:31:49 pm »

Thanks, but for the vanilla alloys like Electrum or Rose Gold it doesnt say its value/usefulness, so I dont know what to do with those metals (i.e. if they are good for weapons, for armor or for what)  The Masterwork:Metal page explains quite well the usefulness of metals but doesnt cover some of them :S

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:35:39 pm »

Electrum or Rose Gold are vanilla metals. Not modded.

Moonsilver and shadesilver is exactly like silver, same stats. It does extra damage to good or evil creatures though.

Netherbark is exactly like steel, but lighter and temp immune.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gromak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:44:06 pm »

Thanks Meph, I guess with the wiki and the manuals I can know the usefulness of nearly all the metals from MW. The wiki says Orichalcum is ''Epic''. I guess that means its good for armor and all type of weapons (blunt,edge..) ?

Thanks again!

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 05:42:33 pm »

correct me if i'm wrong but, a dwarf being a broker with some appraisal skill should make the value of an item show
so compare the value of the metal bars to each other? although you would need to make 1 of each bar
then the items produced should have the base value multiplied by the metal bars value

hmm could start a new fort and at embark look at the metal bar list for the values too, wouldn't have to make any then..

there use to be a metal guide in the package of mwdf, but i guess it was and is outdated now
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"