Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [REQ] old trees  (Read 934 times)

letsdance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[REQ] old trees
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »

i liked the old trees better (too easy to get wood now). has anyone done a mod by chance that changes trees back, or reduces wood gained from them?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: [REQ] old trees
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »

These multi-level trees are good on one hand, horrible on another. If I want to clear a section for my wall to pass through without ugly bumps everywhere, I have to cut down trees and get 800 pieces of wood from five trees. It's rather frustrating.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:39:29 am »

Some people already have done all that's possible without taking drastic measures, which is making all trees 3 z-level trunks that don't branch out at all, also giving you 3 logs per tree.

You can't really change trees back to being one-tile things as they were, though. Well, not without taking drastic measures, anyway.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:12:55 pm »

Some people already have done all that's possible without taking drastic measures, which is making all trees 3 z-level trunks that don't branch out at all, also giving you 3 logs per tree.

You can't really change trees back to being one-tile things as they were, though. Well, not without taking drastic measures, anyway.

You actually can. Just deleting all trees currently defined in the raws and adding in some plant raws that give logs (you might be able to copy/paste the 34.11 ones in, but no guarantees, it's ages since I last looked into plant modding).

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:13 am »

You actually can. Just deleting all trees currently defined in the raws and adding in some plant raws that give logs (you might be able to copy/paste the 34.11 ones in, but no guarantees, it's ages since I last looked into plant modding).

This would require herbalism skill instead of woodcutting, though (as well as no axe), and would give you zero logs for the majority of trees even at top skill.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.