Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird (broken?) key bindings  (Read 593 times)

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird (broken?) key bindings
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:04:10 pm »

Is it just me and probably my german keyboard, or is there something wrong with the key bindings including the '+' key?

Since the functionality of '+' (like in menus) has been moved to '=' it has become quite clumsy to deal with on a non-US keyboard.

But the new function of the '+' key seems not intended. In some menus the '+' is used for scrolling, e.g., when browsing through items to 'g'rab in adventure mode ("-+ to view other pages"). But when I do so, the first and second time the game zooms in (apparently the tiles are increased in size) instead of scrolling through the items. Afterwards it works as announced but I have not yet found out how to zoom out again.

Is this a bug? Or am I doing it wrong/on the wrong keyboard?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird (broken?) key bindings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:58 pm »

Are you using the starter pack? If so, the latest version has some non-standard keybinds by default. In the starter pack launcher, choose the option for DF vanilla keybinds.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:22 pm »

That's it!

Thanks a lot!

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »

Thanks Primus. That has been driving me crazy.

8 years with this game and I still haven't figured out how to unbind keys from the menu.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »

I usually rebind keys to eliminate the problem where pressing numpad 9 or 3 causes pageup/pagedown and vice versa.

I also rebind the up/down z-level keys so that I don't have to hold shift, and change the one-step key to "shift space".