Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How effective are war dogs in .34 and .40?  (Read 1955 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How effective are war dogs in .34 and .40?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 08:23:51 am »

On 7/10 Toady said, "Fixed the size bug where 9 of 10 young critters did not grow up beyond baby size (thanks Urist Da Vinci and so many others for all the work on that! I'd thank you all properly if I could do the archaeology to figure out how it was sorted out...)".

So I assume this was fixed as of 0.40.02.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 08:25:26 am »

in .34 I used wardogs to keep kobolds at bay, and it worked like a charm. Scared them right off and even killed one or two easily.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:42 am »

just playing a savage biome, and untrained dogs in a meeting area just outside the entrance are very useful for keeping away wildlife.

i initially had them inside the entrance, but a group of giant keas came down from above and tried to get in. 9/11 of them fled just after getting into the fort. on of the keas almost instantly killed the child from my first migrant wave. and one of the keas got into a fight with an untrained dog. the dog almost immediately knock the kea unconscious with a scratch to the head...... and then filled up 42 pages of combat reports, with noting but scratching the unconscious kea's head and occasionally passing out from exertion. the other 12 dogs sat 2 tiles away and watched (they had room to both flee and engage, and were not scared at all. and the unconscious kea didn't scare any of my dwarves. finally got sick of it and drafted a miner who killed instantly. was odd that the dog didn't bite once, as shaking around by the head would probably be able to kill

tldr; useful for scaring wildlife and occupying hostiles, but not killing anything bigger than themselves. obviously dont try in evil embarks or with necromancers around though

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »

It's been fixed since .40.03 I believe.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10:34 pm »

It's been fixed since .40.03 I believe.

Bah. 34.11r5 here, I just use that one ruby script with DFhack. Fixes like a charm.
How do I do it? Prune juice.
Pages: 1 [2]