Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Issues: Bug or not (Thread?)  (Read 594 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Issues: Bug or not (Thread?)
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:36:03 am »

Okay, with the new issue out, i figured that i could put together a thread where we can ask questions about various issues for "features" that may or may not be bugs.  In addition, discussion may include

So, my first one:
I have a farm that is declared "outside" with no discernible way up. BUT, I do have several tiles that have been revealed.  Has anyone encountered this? Is it perhaps, related to the new trees extending downward before they are cut down? I seem to recall a thread where someone cut a tree down in their barracks, only for the tree to cause the river to flood the barracks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:43:25 pm by SimRobert2001 »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Issues Bug or not (Thread?)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:48 pm »

I have a farm that is declared "outside" with no discernible way up. BUT, I do have several tiles that have been revealed.  Has anyone encountered this? Is it perhaps, related to the new trees extending downward before they are cut down? I seem to recall a thread where someone cut a tree down in their barracks, only for the tree to cause the river to flood the barracks.

If your fortress spent any time being played in version 0.40.04, then it's possible you had some trees grow up through the ceiling, ripping a hole and exposing the farm to sunlight after you removed the tree.  If this is the case, you should be able to see the hole, on the level above the farm.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:13:39 pm »

If your fortress spent any time being played in version 0.40.04, then it's possible you had some trees grow up through the ceiling, ripping a hole and exposing the farm to sunlight after you removed the tree.  If this is the case, you should be able to see the hole, on the level above the farm.

Nope.  It started in 40.05. 

Also, I have had a strange FPS drop.  I have 50 dwarves now, and i'm getting 15 FPS.  NOrmally, in the previous editions, i would be at 100 FPS.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »

Good thread.

Anyone else having the same issue as I have with Jewelry?

Seems i Can Cut anything like it was a gem (stones that is) tetrahedrite , Marble anything that can be mined goes.
Was going to report it but seemed there was a bug like that allready reported for 0.32 but it was labeled as a feature.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:42:19 pm »

Good thread.

Seems i Can Cut anything like it was a gem (stones that is) tetrahedrite , Marble anything that can be mined goes.
Was going to report it but seemed there was a bug like that already reported for 0.32 but it was labeled as a feature.

Yea, i have that had "feature" as well. It seems that it is actually meant to be.

On that note: I've had FPS issues.  Its related due to the fact that the entire world is simulated while in fortress mode now.  The bigger the world, the more it has to work on.  As a result fortress mode slows down, and in the case of large worlds, long histories, and big populations, it slows down ALOT.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:45:05 pm by SimRobert2001 »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:33 pm »

Good thread.

Was going to report it but seemed there was a bug like that already reported for 0.32 but it was labeled as a feature.

Yea, i have that had "feature" as well. It seems that it is actually meant to be.

On that note: I've had FPS issues.  Its related due to the fact that the entire world is simulated while in fortress mode now.  The bigger the world, the more it has to work on.  As a result fortress mode slows down, and in the case of large worlds, long histories, and big populations, it slows down ALOT.

It's substantially better in .40.05 than .40.04, but it's still a bit murderous. Shorter histories helps, but smaller worlds helps a LOT. Also worth noting: it's not constant. I get periods where everything slows down to may be 20 FPS for an in-game day then accelerates back up to 100FPS where it tootles along until I accidentally screw up some plumbing.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »

Good thread.

Was going to report it but seemed there was a bug like that allready reported for 0.32 but it was labeled as a feature.

That was added in the previous version as a way for you to train your gemcrafters without wasting valuable gems on novices.
It was coupled with the mining changes to remove a lot of micromanagement needed when working with skilled/less skilled dwarves.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:07:03 pm »

Good thread.

It's substantially better in .40.05 than .40.04, but it's still a bit murderous. Shorter histories helps, but smaller worlds helps a LOT. Also worth noting: it's not constant. I get periods where everything slows down to may be 20 FPS for an in-game day then accelerates back up to 100FPS where it tootles along until I accidentally screw up some plumbing.

That may be true, but for me, It STILL lead to a massive drop off, in which i dropped down to 15fps, when i would normally be at 100. Hence me mentioning it again.