Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updating savegame raws  (Read 2017 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Updating savegame raws
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:41:03 pm »

I did not find anything about this, neither in the wiki nor in the forum: So the new 40.05 update has some changes to the raws compared to 40.04. If I created my world with 40.04, do I need to update the raws of this world in some way? Does this happen automatically? Or is it entirely unnecessary?
Also:
Made king cobra people legless like other snake people
What happens to a savegame where a cobra man got a leg cut off or injured?

The last update where I needed this knowledge was more than two years ago, and I have no idea what I did back then (other that apparently mine carts and wheelbarrows worked pretty well after the update, but I do not know if I did anything to the savegame).
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Updating savegame raws
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:27 pm »

Saves store their raw data separately from the main raws within Dwarf Fortress. The main raws are found within the folder called 'raw', and the saves are found within the 'data/save' folder directory. The save folder should have its own folder inside of it that is also called 'raw'.

You could copy the main raw files of the game and paste them into your save's individual raws, overwriting the older raws.

I'm not sure how an injured snake-person would react though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:52:24 pm by BlackFlyme »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »

I would advise against trying to update creature raws since Tigermen have moved from one creature file to another - if you were to overwrite your raws, a whole bunch of your creature definitions would get shifted around.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:11 am »

Toady answered to this in another thread. Apparently copying the raws might work if I leave out the language files. I think I will just try it with both solutions and post the short-term results here.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:34:42 pm »

You can also leave the raws in your older save as-is. It won't break anything, but you'll miss out on some of the bugfixes, too (notably animalpeople being too frequent).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.