Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have noble's requirements scale with the fortress wealth.  (Read 659 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Have noble's requirements scale with the fortress wealth.
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:34 am »

Partially a troubleshoot for the current insta-monarch on embark that the current version has, partially a manner of making noble requirements make more sense.

If your monarch is one of your starting seven which just barely scratched the soil layer, they should not be so demanding, and just sleep in the dorm with the rest. However, as the fort scales, the needs of the monarch can go up.

If your fort is 20 dwarves? The monarch should at least have a personal bedroom and office with a container and cabinet!
Your fort 40 dwarves? Should at least be on the level of the mayor's, if not better.

Ideally this be tied to wealth, with a certain capping point. This way, players won't be burdened by the monarch in the bgeinning, but as time passes they will become more of a challenge.

Other ideas include tying this in with mandate frequency, and the noble's personality. A humble noble won't mind sleeping in the dormitory a little while longer, while a spoiled one won't even set foot in the dormitory to begin with!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Have noble's requirements scale with the fortress wealth.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »

I have no reason to believe a newly crowned monarch would just roll over and play nice with everyone.  Attack of the Autocrats, go!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:35:18 pm »

I would rather it be tied to civilization wealth.  That way, your monarch is a little more understanding when he's one of the last handful remaining in your civ.  I like the idea of the last remaining heir to the throne remaining humble as he hides in your fledgeling fortress

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:07:42 pm »

Yeah, their requirements should scale as a percent of fortress wealth, capped at some ludicrous value for extremely wealthy forts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »

You guys, I feel for the hardships of a first year fort providing for a king.

Perhaps a more reasonable request is to have it scale along with the level of the fort?  You know.

Your fort starts as an outpost.
It graduates to a barony
It promotes to a county
And so on.

So, that way the king only asks for the appropriate level of the fort.  Which is based on trade value and fort value (and some population, I think).

Which isn't terribly out of left field.  A new civ from out of nowhere would have to be recognized as a civ by its neighbors to have any sovereignty.  Otherwise you are just some renegade.  Your terrifying glacier fort is more a monastery than a mountainhome

---

That said, what about poor forts?  Why should they be denied?   Or how about the ease of artifacts?  One artifact table will turn any room into a royal ___ room.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:15:43 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:22:26 pm »

Why stop at rooms? When rings, crowns and such become more interactive, it'd be plausible for the monarch to demand one of over a certain value and lesser ones for his family members.

Also, a full suit of armor and his weapon of choice, clothes, pets, statues and so on. It'd make more sense than for the noble to keep demanding that more <whatever>s are produced and aren't exported.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:57 pm »

I think that as development continues, we should try to move as far away as possible from raw-defined room requirements and instead focus on the personality of the dwarf themselves. Having all nobles be snooty little annoyances worked well when the game was a simplistic 2D fort builder, but the project has expanded since then. A dwarf who is humble and hates excess shouldn't be demanding a royal throne room just 'cause. And circumstance should also play a role as well. Right now, your civ is pretty much decimated by gobs during the two week update period, leaving your nation in ruin. A monarch during this time could be a snooty, self-absorbed individual who demands his royal accommodations, but a more down to earth, realistic ruler would see the need to put his personal desires asides for the good of his crumbling homeland.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.