Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven radar worries--spoilery  (Read 1609 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Dwarven radar worries--spoilery
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:19:11 am »

Dwarven radar says that there are three empty spaces and a pit in the square I walled off. Is it safe to go in, or should I just engrave the walls and then never come back?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven radar worries--spoilery
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:24:05 am »

Not safe.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:29:26 am »

Build a dwarven chessboard, and then dig all of the candy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:28 am »

You must dig. Sacrifice a dwarf if need be!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:00:49 am »

Full of demons it is, then.

I wonder why it's not totally surrounded by candy.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:58:45 am »

It looks like it is--those smoothed walls, I'd guess, are raw adamantium, and are surrounding a 2x2 space…just the right size.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:57 pm »

I walled in a peasant on the next level down and had him check. Luckily he could rebuild the wall fast that way, because it was indeed hell.

My first hell, I'm so proud :D

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:04 am »

So, I put in a floor a ways below the demons and I'm digging beneath that. Is Hell safe now, or will there be more waiting?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 11:44:48 am »

Nope. There'll be demons drifting in from the edges of the map. Hell is never safe, but there won't be another huge wave of demons coming.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 12:12:16 pm »

Cool. I'll have to do my best to wall them out . . . luckily I have lots of steam, ash and fire types I can pretty much 1-hit kill.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 04:32:18 pm »

This here is the reason that adamantine is so safe to use; every entrance into hell will be a 2x2 tube through the magma sea, which means that as long as you avoid spaces large enough to contain the shaft your adamantine will never come with unintended side effects.

As an alternative, you could have carved a fortification into the spire; creatures will only move through a fortification if pushed by water, never of their own violation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »

This here is the reason that adamantine is so safe to use; every entrance into hell will be a 2x2 tube through the magma sea, which means that as long as you avoid spaces large enough to contain the shaft your adamantine will never come with unintended side effects.

As an alternative, you could have carved a fortification into the spire; creatures will only move through a fortification if pushed by water, never of their own violation.

In adventure mode 2014, one can jump through fortifications. I don't this has been tested in fort mode.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

That's alright, I'm still on 2012.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »

In adventure mode 2014, one can jump through fortifications. I don't this has been tested in fort mode.

Now the question is, can flyers path through fortifications.  If so, then toady one has off-handedly crushed that mildly exploitative tactic for revealing HFS.  And overseers everywhere who don't know about it will be all "guhWAHHHH!?"  Hilarity and fun will ensue.  Fortresses will crumble daily.

Or they might still not path through them.  But i kind of hope they do.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.